In this paper, a four-port compact active duplexer based on a complimentary split ring resonator (CSRR) and interdigital loaded microstrip coupled lines (CSRR-IL MCL) is presented. Interdigital capacitor is used on the top layer of the proposed structure and CSRR transmission lines are used on the bottom layer of the coupled lines in order to increase the coupling of the proposed circuit and create triple band resonances, respectively. The proposed active duplexer has one input port and three output ports operating in three distinct operation frequencies which are 1.4 GHz, 1.8 GHz, and 3.2 GHz. The active duplexer is designed to target LTE applications which are prevalent among the new technologies and devices. The input signal is split in terms of frequency into the three designed frequencies and is amplified by 13 dB gain of the amplifiers placed at the output ports. The fractional bandwidths of the proposed structure at 1.4 GHz, 1.8 GHz, and 3.2 GHz are 5.2%, 2.8%, and 9.4%, respectively. It is worth mentioning that the size of the proposed active duplexer is 0.29λ0×0.38λ0. The design guide of the proposed structure is presented, and it will be shown that the simulation as well as the measurement results of the proposed active duplexer have an acceptable agreement with each other. It should be noted that the VSWR of the proposed structure is less than 1.5 which means that the active duplexer has low return loss, and it is the plus point of it.
2. Zheng, B., S.Wong, S. Feng, L. Zhu, and Y. Yang, "Multi-mode bandpass cavity filters and duplexer with slot mixed-coupling structure," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 16353-16362, 2018.
3. Park, J., S. Jin, K. Moon, and B. Kim, "Wide-band duplexer based on electrical balance of hybrid transformer having two notches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 13, 16353-16362, 2016.
4. Iwaki, M., T. Tanaka, M. Ueda, and Y. Satoh, "Design consideration on converged Rx SAW duplexer module for multiband RF front end," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4629-4635, 2017.
5. Van Liempd, B., A. Visweswaran, S. Ariumi, S. Hitomi, P. Wambacq, and J. Craninckx, "Adaptive RF front-ends using electrical-balance duplexers and tuned SAW resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 11, 4621-4628, 2017.
6. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773-4776, 1996.
7. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
8. Keshavarz, R., Y. Miyanaga, M. Yamamoto, T. Hikage, and N. Shariati, "Metamaterial-inspired quad-band notch filter for LTE band receivers and WPT applications," IEEE URSI GASS, Rome, Italy, 2020.
9. Keshavarz, R., M. Danaeian, M. Movahhedi, and A. Hakimi, "A compact dual-band branch-line coupler based on the interdigital transmission line," 19th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, 1-5, 2011.
10. Cai, Q., W. Che, G. Shen, and Q. Xue, "Wideband high-efficiency power amplifier using D/CRLH bandpass filtering matching topology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 6, 2393-2405, 2019.
11. Keshavarz, R. and N. Shariati, "Low profile metamaterial band-pass filter loaded with 4-turn complementary spiral resonator for WPT applications," 2020 27th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems (ICECS), 2020.
12. Cai, Q., W. Che, G. Shen, and Q. Xue, "Wideband high-efficiency power amplifier using D/CRLH bandpass filtering matching topology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 67, No. 6, 2393-2405, 2019.
13. Keshavarz, S. and N. Nozhat, "Dual-band Wilkinson power divider based on composite right/left-handed transmission lines," 2016 13th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/ Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), 2016.
14. Mazani, Z., A. Abdipour, and K. Afrooz, "Active dual-band power divider and active quad-plexer based on traveling wave amplification and D-CRLH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 67, No. 3, 480-484, 2020.
15. Kumar, M., Sk. N. Islam, G. Sen, S. K. Parui, and S. Das, "Design of dual-band Wilkinson power divider using CRLH transmission line based on CSRR," 2017 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 2017.
16. Keshavarz, R. and M. Movahhedi, "A compact and wideband coupled-line coupler with high coupling level using shunt periodic stubs," Radioengineering, Vol. 22, No. 1, 323-327, 2013.
17. Mocanu, I. A. and T. Petrescu, "Novel dual band hybrid rat-race coupler with CRLH and D-CRLH transmission lines," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2011, 2011.
18. Yamagami, K., T. Ueda, and T. Itoh, "Enhanced bandwidth of asymmetric backward-wave directional couplers by using dispersion of nonreciprocal CRLH transmission lines," 2019 IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 2019.
19. Zhang, J., S. Yan, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Radial CRLH-TL-based dual-band antenna with frequency agility," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 7, 5664-5669, 2020.
20. Alibakhshikenari, M., B. S. Virdee, M. Khalily, P. Shukla, C. H. See, R. Abd-Alhameed, F. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "Beam-scanning leaky-wave antenna based on CRLH-metamaterial for millimetre-wave applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 8, 1129-1133, 2019.
21. Alibakhshikenari, M., B. S. Virdee, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, F. Falcone, and E. Limiti, "High-gain metasurface in polyimide on-chip antenna based on CRLH-TL for sub-terahertz integrated circuits," Scientific Reports, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1-9, 2020.
22. Keshavarz, S., A. Abdipour, A. Mohammadi, and R. Keshavarz, "Design and implementation of low loss and compact microstrip triplexer using CSRR loaded coupled lines," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 1-5, 2019.
23. Lee, H. and T. Itoh, "Dual band isolation circuits based on CRLH transmission lines for triplexer application," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2011, 2011.
24. Mazani, Z., A. Abdipour, and K. Afrooz, "Matrix power amplifier with open-circuit composite right-/left-handed transmission line," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 29, No. 3, 231-233, 2019.
25. Ji, S. H., S. Eun, C. S. Cho, J. W. Lee, and J. Kim, "Linearity improved Doherty power amplifier using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 533-535, 2008.
26. Xiong, X., Y. Luo, Y. Zhang, X. Ma, P. Wu, and L. Chen, "A high-efficiency Class-F power amplifier using double CRLH-TL for LTE application," 2014 15th International Conference on Electronic Packaging Technology, 2014.
27. Wu, C. M., Y. Dong, J. S. Sun, and T. Itoh, "Ring-resonator-inspired power recycling scheme for gain-enhanced distributed amplifier-based CRLH-transmission line leaky wave antennas," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 4, 1027-1037, 2012.
28. Keshavarz, R., A. Mohammadi, and A. Abdipour, "A quad-band distributed amplifier with E-CRLH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 12, 4188-4194, 2013.
29. Simion, S. and G. Bartolucci, "Design considerations on balanced CRLH single-ended dual-fed distributed amplifier," 2014 International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), 2014.
30. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
31. Elkholy, M., M. Mikhemar, H. Darabi, and K. Entesari, "Low-loss integrated passive CMOS electrical balance duplexers with single-ended LNA," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 64, No. 5, 1544-1559, 2016.
32. Laughlin, L., C. Zhang, M. A. Beach, K. A. Morris, and J. L. Haine, "Passive and active electrical balance duplexers," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 63, No. 1, 94-98, 2016.
33. Lee, H., J. H. Choi, and T. Itoh, "Active diplexer based on isolation circuits imbedded low noise amplifiers," 2015 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 2015.