Corrugated substrate integrated waveguide (CSIW) based bandpass filter is designed and developed for the microwave interferometer (7.0 GHz) and ISM band (5.7 GHz-5.9 GHz) application. CSIW structure provides a cost-effective solution counter to substrate integrated waveguide (SIW). Initially, the CSIW structure is designed from the design methodology of SIW. Vias are replaced with a quarter wavelength open stub. A metallic inductive post is used for the realization of the bandpass filter from the CSIW structure. Computer simulation technology (CST) software is used for design and simulation of the proposed model. Two structures are implemented for the microwave interferometer and ISM band frequency application. The first structure resonates at the center frequency of 7.023 GHz with the fractional bandwidth of 5.26%. It provides an insertion loss value of less than 1.5 dB and a return loss better than 14 dB. Similarly, the second structure provides passband frequency, from 5.6 GHz to 6.0 GHz, with the insertion loss value less than 1.5 dB and return loss better than 18 dB at the center frequency. It can be used for the ISM band frequency application. The frequency tuning approach is also shown to change the resonance frequency for different applications. For the proof of concept, the proposed filter is fabricated and tested. The measured results are quite similar to the simulation results.
1. Vala, A., A. Patel, R. Goswami, and K. Mahant, "Defected ground structure based wideband microstrip low-pass filter for wireless communication," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 5, 993-996, May 2017. doi:10.1002/mop.30456
2. Patel, A., Y. Kosta, N. Chhasatia, and K. Pandya, "Multiple band waveguide based microwave resonator," IEEE-International Conference on Advances in Engineering, Science and Management (ICAESM-2012), 84-87, Nagapattinam, Tamil Nadu, India, March 2012.
3. Ghosh, S., S. Bhattacharyya, Y. Kaiprath, and K. Vaibhav Srivastava, "Bandwidth-enhanced polarization-insensitive microwave metamaterial absorber and its equivalent circuit model," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 115, No. 10, 104503, March 2014. doi:10.1063/1.4868577
4. Patel, A., A. Vala, R. Goswami, and K. Mahant, "Design of highly selective bandpass filters for communication between two satellites at K band frequency," 2015 IEEE 16th Annual Wireless and Microwave Technology Conference (WAMICON), 1-5, Florida, USA, IEEE, April 2015.
5. Abdolhamidi, M. and M. Shahabadi, "X-band substrate integrated waveguide amplifier," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 12, 815-817, December 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2007711
6. Patel, A., Y. P. Kosta, A. Vala, and R. Goswami, "Design and performance analysis of metallic posts coupled SIW-based multiband bandpass and bandstop filter," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1409-1417, June 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29105
7. Aghayari, H., N. Komjani, and N. M. Garmjani, "A novel integrated corrugated waveguide bandpass filter," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 27, No. 1, January 2012.
8. Lin, Y., Y. Zhang, H. Liu, Y. Zhang, E. Forsberg, and S. He, "A simple high-gain millimeter-wave leaky-wave slot antenna based on a bent corrugated SIW," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 91999-92006, May 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2993999
9. Eccleston, K. W., "Corrugated substrate integrated waveguide distributed amplifier," 2012 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 379-381, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, IEEE, December 2012.
10. Chen, K., Y. H. Zhang, S. Y. He, H. T. Chen, and G. Q. Zhu, "An electronically controlled leaky-wave antenna based on corrugated SIW structure with fixed-frequency beam scanning," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 551-555, January 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2896354
11. Lou, T., X. X. Yang, H. Qiu, Q. Luo, and S. Gao, "Low-cost electrical beam-scanning leaky-wave antenna based on bent corrugated substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 2, 353-357, January 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2890995
12. Chen, D. G. and K. W. Eccleston, "Substrate integrated waveguide with corrugated wall," 2008 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, Hong Kong, Macau, IEEE, December 2008.
13. Zhao, Y., "Quasi-corrugated substrate integrated waveguide H-plane horn antenna with wideband and low-profile characteristics," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 2, 21539, February 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21539
14. Eccleston, K. W., "Mode analysis of the corrugated substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 3004-3012, August 2012. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2012.2209453
15. Eccleston, K. W., "Half-mode buried corrugated substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 4, 215-217, January 2014. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2013.2293660
16. Liu, Y., D. Jiang, X. Li, Z. Wang, P. Ran, and Z. Fu, "Microwave CSIW filter based on the high anisotropy electro-optic nematic liquid crystal," 2019 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, Guangzhou, China, IEEE, May 2019.
17. Liang, F. T. and X. An, "Wideband bandpass filters using corrugated substrate integrated waveguide and periodic structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2665-2668, November 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29415
18. Chaudhari, J. P., B. Patel, A. V. Patel, A. D. Vala, K. K. Mahant, H. K. Mewada, A. Sinha, and S. K. Pathak, "Highly stable signal generation in microwave interferometer using PLLs," Fusion Engineering and Design, Vol. 161-111993, December 2020.
19. Vala, A., A. Patel, B. Patel, A. Sinha, U. Nagora, S. Pathak, J. Chaudhari, and H. Mewada, "Phase locked loop system with SIW-based bandpass filter for D-band microwave interferometer," IETE Journal of Research, 1-10, April 2019.
20. Vala, A. and A. Patel, "Highly selective bandpass filter using substrate integrated waveguide technology for FMCW radar application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 9, 2330-2335, September 2019. doi:10.1002/mop.31343