1. Di Renzo, M., A. Zappone, M. Debbah, M. S. Alouini, C. Yuen, J. de Rosny, and S. Tretyakov, "Smart radio environments empowered by reconfigurable intelligent surfaces: How it works, state of research, and the road ahead," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 38, No. 11, 2450-2525, 2020.
2. ElMossallamy, M. A., H. Zhang, L. Song, K. G. Seddik, Z. Han, and G. Y. Li, "Reconfigurable intelligent surfaces for wireless communications: Principles, challenges, and opportunities," IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, Vol. 6, No. 3, 990-1002, 2020.
3. Liaskos, C., A. Tsioliaridou, A. Pitsillides, S. Ioannidis, and I. F. Akyildiz, "Using any surface to realize a new paradigm for wireless communications," ACM Commun., Vol. 61, No. 11, 30-33, Nov. 2018.
. The next hyper — Connected experience for all, White Paper, Samsung 6G Vision, Jun. 2020.
5. Pan, C., H. Ren, K. Wang, M. Elkashlan, A. Nallanathan, J. Wang, and L. Hanzo, "Intelligent reflecting surface aided mimo broadcasting for simultaneous wireless information and power transfer," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2020.
6. Chu, Z., W. Hao, P. Xiao, and J. Shi, "Intelligent reflecting surface aided multi-antenna secure transmission," IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Vol. 9, No. 1, 108-112, 2019.
7. Park, S. Y. and D. I. Kim, "Intelligent reflecting surface-aided phaseshift backscatter communication," 2020 14th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication (IMCOM), 1-5, IEEE, 2020.
8. Zhang, H., H. Zhang, B. Di, K. Bian, Z. Han, and L. Song, "Towards ubiquitous positioning by leveraging reconfigurable intelligent surface," IEEE Communications Letters, Sep. 10, 2020.
9. Nepa, P. and A. Buffi, "Near-field-focused microwave antennas: Near-field shaping and implementation," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 3, 42-53, 2017.
10. Huang, C., G. C. Alexandropoulos, C. Yuen, and M. Debbah, "Indoor signal focusing with deep learning designed reconfigurable intelligent surfaces," 2019 IEEE 20th International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), 1-5, 2019.
11. Nayeri, P., A. Z. Elsherbeni, R. L. Haupt, and F. Yang, "Near-field scanning characteristics of focused reflectarray antennas," 2015 31st International Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), 1-2, IEEE, 2015.
12. Dehnavi, M. M. and J. Laurin, "Near field focusing using a circularly polarized reconfigurable reflectarray," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 1953-1954, 2019.
13. Di Renzo, M., F. Habibi Danufane, X. Xi, J. de Rosny, and S. Tretyakov, "Analytical modeling of the path-loss for reconfigurable intelligent surfaces — Anomalous mirror or scatterer?," 2020 IEEE 21st International Workshop on Signal Processing Advances in Wireless Communications (SPAWC), 1-5, 2020.
14. Tang, W., M. Z. Chen, X. Chen, J. Y. Dai, Y. Han, M. Di Renzo, Y. Zeng, S. Jin, Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Wireless communications with reconfigurable intelligent surface: Path loss modeling and experimental measurement," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2020.
15. Hu, S., F. Rusek, and O. Edfors, "The potential of using large antenna arrays on intelligent surfaces," 2017 IEEE 85th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), 1-6, Sydney, NSW, 2017.
16. Garcia, J. C. B., A. Sibille, and M. Kamoun, "Reconfigurable intelligent surfaces: Bridging the gap between scattering and reflection," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 38, No. 11, 2538-2547, 2020.
17. Tuan, S. and H. Chou, "Asymptotic analysis of scattering from reflectarray antennas for the near-field focused applications," 2015 Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (APEMC), 173-176, 2015.
18. Arrebola, M., Y. Alvarez, J. A. Encinar, and F. Las-Heras, "Accurate analysis of printed reflectarrays considering the near field of the primary feed," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 187-194, 2009.
19. Chou, H., T. Hung, N. Wang, H. Chou, C. Tung, and P. Nepa, "Design of a near-field focused reflectarray antenna for 2.4 GHz RFID reader applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 3, 1013-1018, 2011.
20. Hu, S., F. Rusek, and O. Edfors, "Beyond massive MIMO: The potential of positioning with large intelligent surfaces," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 66, No. 7, 1761-1774, Apr. 2018.
21. Wymeersch, H. and B. Denis, "Beyond 5G wireless localization with reconfigurable intelligent surfaces," Proc. IEEE ICC, 1-6, Dublin, Ireland, Jun. 2020.
22. Huang, J. and J. A. Encinar, Antenna Analysis Techniques, Chapter 3, 27-78, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2007, [online], available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/9780470178775.ch3.
23. Sherman, J., "Properties of focused apertures in the fresnel region," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 399-408, 1962.
24. Silver, S., Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Radiation Laboratory Series, No. 12, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1949, [online], available: https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=Fi42MwEACAAJ.
25. Nayeri, P., et al., System Design and Aperture Efficiency Analysis, Chapter 3, 49-78, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2018, [online], available: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/9781118846728.ch3.
26. Mielenz, K. D., "Computation of fresnel integrals. II.," Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Vol. 105, No. 4, 589-590, 2000.
27. Chou, H., Y. Liu, X. Dong, B. You, and L. Kuo, "Design of reflectarray antennas to achieve an optimum near-field radiation for RFID applications via the implementation of SDM procedure," Radio Science, Vol. 50, No. 4, 283-293, 2015.
28. Nayeri, P., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, System Design and Aperture Efficiency Analysis, 49-78, 2018.
29. He, J., H. Wymeersch, L. Kong, O. Silv’en, and M. Juntti, "Large intelligent surface for positioning in millimeter wave MIMO systems," Proc. IEEE VTC-Spring, 1-5, Antwerp, Belgium, May 2020.
30. Basar, E., M. Di Renzo, J. De Rosny, M. Debbah, M. Alouini, and R. Zhang, "Wireless communications through reconfigurable intelligent surfaces," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 116753-116773, 2019.
31. Di Renzo, M., M. Debbah, D.-T. Phan-Huy, A. Zappone, M.-S. Alouini, C. Yuen, V. Sciancalepore, G. C. Alexandropoulos, J. Hoydis, H. Gacanin, J. de Rosny, A. Bounceur, G. Lerosey, and M. Fink, "Smart radio environments empowered by reconfigurable AI meta-surfaces: An idea whose time has come," EURASIP J. Wireless Commun. Netw., Vol. 2019, No. 1, 1-20, May 2019.
32. Liaskos, C., S. Nie, A. Tsioliaridou, A. Pitsillides, S. Ioannidis, and I. Akyildiz, "A new wireless communication paradigm through softwarecontrolled metasurfaces," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 9, 162-169, 2018.
33. Zhang, H., J. Hu, H. Zhang, B. Di, K. Bian, Z. Han, and L. Song, "Metaradar: Indoor localization by reconfigurable metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Dec. 14, 2020.
34. Johnson, J. M. and V. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997.
35. Ulichny, K., E. Levine, and H. Matzner, "Design of thinned antenna arrays," 2015 IEEE 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR), 238-241, 2015.