In this communication, conceptual design guidelines for a tri-band dual sense circularly polarized ceramic-based antenna is explored. An asymmetrical S-shaped aperture is used to stimulate the ring-shaped ceramic. Some exclusive features are obtained in the designed antenna: (i) creation of five different hybrid modes (HEM11δ, HEM11δ+2, HEM12δ-like, HEM12δ, and HEM13δ) is helpful for getting dual wideband impedance bandwidth; (ii) proposed aperture assists in achieving CP waves in three different frequency ranges with two different senses. Its experimental results confirm the simulated outcomes. The proposed antenna is operated within the dual-frequency ranges i.e. 2.2-4.19 GHz and 4.74-6.11 GHz, respectively. The measured 3-dB axial ratio is achieved in three different frequency ranges within the operating band i.e. 2.71-2.98 GHz, 3.6-3.79 GHz, and 5.5-5.81 GHz, respectively. The proposed antenna design is left-handed circularly polarized (LHCP) in the first and third frequency ranges, while it is right-handed in the second one. These features, along with broadsided far-field patterns, recommend the proposed antenna design for potential application in WLAN (2.4/5.5 GHz) and WiMAX (3.3/5.0 GHz) wireless networks.
2. Long, S. A., M. W. McAllister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 1, 406-412, 1983.
3. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design," John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
4. Zou, M., J. Pan, L. Zuo, and Z.-P. Nie, "Investigation of a cross-slot-coupled dual-band circularly polarized hybrid dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 53, 187-195, 2014.
5. Pan, Y. M., S. Y. Zheng, and W. Li, "Dual-band and dual-sense omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 706-709, 2014.
6. Fang, X., K. W. Leungand, and E. H. Lim, "Singly-fed dual-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 995-998, 2014.
7. Altaf, A., J. W. Jung, Y. Yang, K. Y. Lee, and K. C. Hwang, "Reconfigurable dual-/triple-band circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, 443-447, 2020.
8. Cheng, C., F. Zhang, Y. Yao, and F. Zhang, "Triband omnidirectional circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna with top-loaded alford loop," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-8, 2014.
9. Sharma, A., D. K. Tripathi, G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Novel asymmetric Swastik-shaped aperture coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna with dual-band and dual-sense circular polarization characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, 405-411, 2018.
10. Sharma, A., G. Das, S. Gupta, and R. K. Gangwar, "Quad-band quad-sense circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna for GPS/CNSS/WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 19, 403-407, 2020.
11. Patel, P., B. Mukherjee, and J. Mukherjee, "Wideband circularly polarized rectangular dielectric resonator antennas using square-shaped slots," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1309-1313, 2015.
12. Sharma, A., G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Composite antenna for ultrawide bandwidth applications: Exploring conceptual design strategies and analysis," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, 57-65, 2018.
13. Kajfez, D., A. W. Glisson, and J. James, "Computed modal field distributions for isolated dielectric resonators," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 32, 1609-1616, 1984.
14. Guha, D., A. Banerjee, C. Kumar, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Higher order mode excitation for high gain broadside radiation from cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, 71-77, 2012.
15. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas — A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimeter-wave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, 230-247, 1994.
16. Guo, L., K. W. Leung, and Y. M. Pan, "Compact unidirectional ring dielectric resonator antennas with lateral radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 5334-5342, 2015.
17. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
18. Faiz, A. M., N. Gogosh, S. A. Khan, and M. F. Shafique, "Effects of an ordinary adhesive material on radiation characteristics of a dielectric resonator antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, 1502-1506, 2014.
19. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, A John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2013.