A compact CPW-fed ultra-wideband monopole antennas with band notch characteristics using Split Ring Slots (SRSs) are proposed in this manuscript. Initially, the antenna is designed by using a rectangular shaped patch, and it has been modified to obtain enhanced impedance bandwidth (VSWR ≤ 2) throughout the entire UWB frequency range. Further, the notch band element (split ring slot) has been introduced in the geometry of proposed antenna to generate the band rejection at WLAN frequency centered at 5.3 GHz (5.15-5.81 GHz). Another antenna has been designed by varying the dimensions of SRS to get the rejection of frequency at an X-band satellite communication system centered at 7.4 GHz (7.16-7.71 GHz). The overall size of proposed UWB antennas is compact (18 × 18 mm2), and it is designed on a low cost FR4 glass epoxy substrate with 1.6 mm thickness and 4.4 dielectric constant. The proposed antennas with and without a notch filter are designed by using HFSS V13 simulator and fabricated for the validation of simulated results. Experimental and simulated results are compared and found in reasonable agreement with each other.
2. Sharma, N. and S. S. Bhatia, "Design of printed monopole antenna with band notch characteristics for ultra-wideband applications," Int. J. of RF and Microw. Computer-Aided Engg., Vol. 29, No. 10, 1-18, 2019.
3. Abbas, A. S. and M. K. Abdelazeez, "Bandwidth enhancement of single notch planar UWB antenna with single step feed line," IEEE Jordan Conf. on App. Elect. Engg. & Compu. Tech., 2015.
4. Shaalan, A. A. and M. I. Ramadan, "Design of a compact hexagonal monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," J. of Infrared, Milli. & Terahz. Waves, 958-968, Springer, 2010.
5. Yadav, A. and A. Malav, "Microstrip UWB antenna with WiMAX notched band characteristics," Int. J. of Recent Res. & Revi., Vol. 7, No. 2, 74-77, 2014.
6. Yadav, S., A. K. Gautam, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Design of miniaturized single band-notch micro strip antenna with enhanced UWB performance," Microw. Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1494-1499, 2016.
7. Hacene, Y., X. Shuguo, and T. Rahman, "Design of a novel monopole antenna with 5.5GHz bandnotch characterization for UWB applications," ISAPE, 273-276, 2012.
8. Ahmed, Z., G. Perwasha, S. Shahid, H. Zahra, I. Saleem, and S. M. Abbas, "Ultra-wideband antenna with WLAN band-notch characteristics," 3rd IEEE Int. Conf. on Comp., Cont. & Comm., 2013.
9. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra-wideband antenna having a frequency band notch functions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 7, 403-404, 2004.
10. Aldhaheri, R. W., K. J. Babu, A. Syed, and M. M. Sheikh, "A novel UWB rectangular slot disk monopole antenna with band-notch characteristics," Microw. Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2405-2410, 2015.
11. Tak, V., A. Garg, and D. K. Pareek, "Butterfly shaped single band notch monopole antenna for UWB application," Int. J. of Elect. Engg. & Tech., Vol. 11, No. 1, 15-25, 2020.
12. Zhu, X. F. and D. L. Su, "Symmetric E-shaped slot for UWB antenna with band-notched characteristics," Microw. Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1594-1597, 2010.
13. Askarpour, A. N., A. Gholipour, and R. F. Dana, "A band-notched tulip antenna for UWB applications," Proc. of the 38th Europ. Microwave Conf., 881-884, 2008.
14. Xu, B., Y. Zhao, Y. Zheng, and L. Gu, "WLAN wideband-notched UWB slot antenna using I-shaped MTM," IEEE Int. Symp. on Ant. & Prop. & USNC/URSI Nat. Radio Sci. Meet., 1783-1784, 2017.
15. Cai, L. Y., G. Zeng, H. C. Yang, and X. W. Zhan, "Compact printed ultra-wideband antennas with band-notched characteristics," Elect. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 12, 817-819, 2010.
16. Mohamed, D. and M. Zoubir, "Single band notched characteristics UWB antenna using a cylindrical dielectric resonator and U-shaped slot," J. of Microw., Optoelectr. and Electromag. App., Vol. 17, No. 2, 340-351, 2018.
17. Fazal, A. S., U. Nasir, B. Ijaz, K. S. Alimgeer, M. F. Shafique, R. M. Shubair, and M. S. Khan, "A compact UWB CPW-fed antenna with inverted L-shaped slot for WLAN band notched characteristics," IEEE 11th Europ. Conf. on Ant. and Propag., 981-984, 2017.
18. Jha, P. N., A. B. Singh, and S. Thakur, "Compact printed single band-notched characteristics square-shape UWB antenna," IEEE Int. Conf. on Global Trends in Sig. Proces., Info. Comput. and Commun., 607-610, 2016.
19. Yao, L., J. Xiao, H. Zhu, N. Li, and X. Li, "A high gain UWB Vivaldi antenna with band notched using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Int. Conf. on Microw. and Millim. Wave Technol., 2016.
20. Mishra, G. and S. Sahu, "Compact circular patch UWB antenna with WLAN band notch characteristics," Microw. Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1068-1073, 2016.
21. Abbas, A., N. Hussain, M. J. Jeong, J. Park, K. S. Shin, T. Kim, and N. Kim, "A rectangular notch-band UWB antenna with controllable notched bandwidth and center frequency," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 777, 1-11, 2020.
22. Bakir, M., K. Delihacioglu, M. Karaasian, F. Dincer, and C. Sabah, "U-shaped frequency selective surfaces for single and dual-band applications together with absorber and sensor configurations," IET Microw., Ant., & Propag., Vol. 10, No. 2, 293-300, 2015.
23. Abdulkarim, Y. I., L. Deng, H. N. Awl, F. F. Muhammadsharif, O. Altintas, M. Karaaslan, and H. Luo, "Design of a broadband coplanar waveguide fed antenna incorporating organic solar cells with 100% insolation for Ku band satellite communication," Materials, Vol. 13, No. 142, 1-11, 2020.
24. Ozdemir, E., O. Akgol, F. O. Alkurt, M. Karaaslan, Y. I. Abdulkarim, and L. Deng, "Mutual coupling reduction of cross-dipole antenna for base stations by using a neural network approach," Applied Sciences, Vol. 10, No. 378, 1-10, 2020.
25. Nazeri, A., M. Baharian, A. Abdolali, and M. Karaaslan, "A reflection only method for characterizing PEC-backed anisotropic materials using waveguide higher order modes," Int. J. of RF and Microw. Comput. Aided Engg., Vol. 30, No. 10, 1-11, 2020.
26. Bhatia, S. S., A. Sahni, and S. B. Rana, "A novel design of compact monopole antenna with defected ground plane for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 70, 21-31, 2018.
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., 487-490, Wiley, New York, 2010.
28. Sharma, N., S. S. Bhatia, V. Sharma, and J. S. Sivia, "An octagonal shaped monopole antenna for UWB applications with band notch characteristics," Wirel. Person. Commun., Vol. 111, 1977-1997, 2019.
29. Nadiah, N., S. K. A. Rahim, and A. A. Eteng, "Band reject ulta-wideband antenna for WLAN and DSRC environments," Int. Sympos. on Technol. Manag. and Emerg. Technolo., 78-81, 2014.
30. Choukiker, Y. K. and S. K. Behera, "Modified Sierpinski square fractal antenna covering ultra-wideband application with band notch characteristics," IET Microw., Ant. and Propag., Vol. 8, No. 7, 506-512, 2014.
31. Wu, S. J. and J. H. Tarng, "Planar band notched ultra-wideband antenna with square looped and end coupled resonator," IET Microw., Ant. and Propag., Vol. 5, No. 10, 1227-1233, 2011.
32. Singh, K. M. J. and R. Mishra, "Design of a circular microstrip patch antenna with single band notch characteristics for UWB applications," Int. WIE Conf. on Elect. and Comput. Engg., 262-265, 2017.
33. Bhattacharya, A., B. Roy, S. K. Chowdhury, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Compact slotted UWB monopole antenna with tuneable band notch characteristics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 2358-2365, 2017.
34. Jiang, Y. T., H. Zhang, H. Xu, R. Zhang, and X. F. Zeng, "A novel ultra-wideband antenna with band notch characteristics," Int. Conf. on Microw. and Millimeter Wave Technol., 2012.
35. Kim, J., C. S. Cho, and J. W. Lee, "5.2GHz notch ultra-wideband antenna using slot type SRR," Elect. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 6, 1-2, 2006.
36. Kumar, A. L., A. Ranjan, M. Chauhan, V. K. Killamsetty, and B. Mukherjee, "Circular SRR shaped UWB antenna with WiMAX band notch characteristics," IEEE Radio and Ant Days of the Indian Ocean, 2018.