In order to solve the problem of the poor performance of the traditional microwave resonance method in multi-parameter fitting data processing, a permittivity measurement method based on Back Propagation (BP) Neural Network algorithm is proposed, which introduces the Neural Network algorithm in data processing of microwave resonance method for the first time. In order to verify the effectiveness of this method in measuring permittivity, a microstrip line structure is used as a microwave resonator. It achieves high sensitivity (4.62%) by loading periodically arranged open resonant rings. On this structure, the reflection coefficients S11 of different material samples are simulated as the data of neural network. The amplitude and phase of S11 and resonant frequency f are taken as the input layer of the neural network, respectively. The dielectric constant and dielectric loss are taken as the output to establish the neural network model. The simulated and measured results show that the dielectric constant and dielectric loss calculated by the model are basically consistent with the data provided by the manufacturer. The relative error of the dielectric constant is less than 0.6%, and the error of the dielectric loss is less than 0.0005. Compared with the traditional data processing of microwave resonance method, the introduction of BP neural network algorithm can significantly improve the accuracy of dielectric constant measurement.
2. Karami, M., P. Rezaei, S. Kiani, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Modified planar sensor for measuring dielectric constant of liquid materials," Electron Lett., Vol. 53, No. 19, 1300-1302, Sep. 2017.
3. Xie, Y., F. Shen, T. Zhou, B. Zhang, J. Wang, C. Li, and L. Ran, "Remote measurement of dielectric constants for samples with arbitrary cross sections," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 30, No. 10, 1005-1008, Oct. 2020.
4. Ye, D., O. Omkar, and P. Wang, "A dual-mode microwave resonator for liquid chromatography applications," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 21, No. 2, 1222-1228, 2021.
5. Wu, C., Y. Liu, S. Lu, S. Gruszczynski, and Y. Yashchyshyn, "Convenient waveguide technique for determining permittivity and permeability of materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 68, No. 11, 4905-4912, Nov. 2020.
6. Adhikari, K. K. and N.-Y. Kim, "Ultrahigh-sensitivity mediator-free biosensor based on a microfabricated microwave resonator for the detection of micromolar glucose concentrations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 64, No. 1, 319-327, Jan. 2016.
7. Yin, B., Z. Lin, X. Cai, H. Hao, W. Luo, and W. Huang, "A novel compact CRLH bandpass filter on CSRR-loaded substrate integrated waveguide cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 75, 121-129, 2018.
8. Gil, M., P. Velez, F. Aznar-Ballesta, J. Munoz-Enano, and F. Martın, "Differential sensor based on electroinductive wave transmission lines for dielectric constant measurements and defect detection," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 3, 1876-1886, Mar. 2020.
9. Kayal, S., T. Shaw, and D. Mitra, "Design of metamaterial-based compact and highly sensitive microwave liquid sensor," Applied Physics A, Vol. 126, No. 1, 1-9, 2020.
10. Yang, C., C. Lee, K. Chen, and K. Chen, "Noncontact measurement of complex permittivity and thickness by using planar resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 64, No. 1, 247-257, Jan. 2016.
11. Alahnomi, R. A., Z. Zakaria, E. Ruslan, S. R. Ab Rashid, and A. A. Mohd Bahar, "High-Q sensor based on symmetrical split ring resonator with spurlines for solids material detection," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 17, No. 9, 2766-2775, May 2017.
12. Sungyun, J., B. S. Izquierdo, and E. A. Parker, "Liquid sensor/detector using an EBG structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 5, 3366-3373, May 2019.
13. Velez, P., J. Munoz-Enano, K. Grenier, J. Mata-Contreras, D. Dubuc, and F. Martın, "Split Ring Resonator (SRR) based microwave fluidic sensors for electrolyte concentration measurements," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 19, No. 7, 2562-2569, Apr. 2019.
14. Teran-Bahena, E. Y., S. C. Sejas-Garcıa, and R. Torres-Torres, "Permittivity determination considering the metal surface roughness effect on the microstrip line series inductance and shunt capacitance," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 68, No. 6, 2428-2434, Jun. 2020.
15. Abdolrazzaghi, M., S. Khan, and M. Daneshmand, "A dual-mode split-ring resonator to eliminate relative humidity impact," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 28, No. 10, 939-941, Oct. 2018.
16. Lee, C. S. and C. L. Yang, "Thickness and permittivity measurement in multi-layered dielectric structures using complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 14, No. 3, 695-700, Mar. 2014.
17. Arab, M., X. Garros, J. Cluzel, M. Rafik, X. Federspiel, and G. Ghibaudo, "A new direct measurement method of time dependent dielectric breakdown at high frequency," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1460-1463, Oct. 2020.
18. Zhang, J., D. Du, Y. Bao, J. Wang, and Z. Wei, "Development of multifrequency-swept microwave sensing system for moisture measurement of sweet corn with deep neural network," IEEE Trans. Instrum Meas., Vol. 69, No. 9, 6446-6454, Sept. 2020.
19. Bonello, J., A. Demarco, I. Farhat, L. Farrugia, and C. V. Sammut, "Application of artificial neural networks for accurate determination of the complex permittivity of biological tissue," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 16, Aug. 2020.
20. Chuma, E. L., Y. Iano, G. Fontgalland, and L. L. Bravo Roger, "Microwave sensor for liquid dielectric characterization based on metamaterial complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 18, No. 24, 9978-9983, Dec. 2018.
21. Galindo-Romera, G., F. J. Herraiz-Martınez, M. Gil, J. J. Martinez-Martinez, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Submersible printed split-ring resonator-based sensor for thin-film detection and permittivity characterization," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 16, No. 10, 3578-3596, May 2016.
22. Lee, C.-S. and C.-L. Yang, "Complementary split-ring resonators for measuring dielectric constants and loss tangents," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 24, No. 8, 563-565, Aug. 201.
23. Hao, H., D. Wang, Z. Wang, B. Yin, and W. Ruan, "Design of a high sensitivity microwave sensor for liquid dielectric constant measurement," Sensors, Vol. 20, No. 19, Oct. 2020.
24. Su, L., J. Mata-Contreras, P. Velez, and F. Martın, "Splitter/Combiner microstrip sections loaded with pairs of Complementary Split Ring Resonators (CSRRs): Modeling and optimization for differential sensing applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 12, 4362-4370, Dec. 2016.
25. Jafari, F. and J. Ahmadi, "Reconfigurable microwave SIW sensor based on PBG structure for high accuracy permittivity characterization of industrial liquids," Sens. Actuators A Phys., Vol. 283, 386-395, Nov. 2018.
26. Lobato-Morales, H., D. V. B. Murthy, A. Corona-Chavez, J. L. Olvera-Cervantes, J. Martinez-Brito, and L. G. Guerrero-Ojeda, "Permittivity measurements at microwave frequencies using Epsilon-Near-Zero (ENZ) tunnel structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 7, 1863-1868, Jul. 2011.