The concept of ultra-wideband (UWB) reconfigurable mmWave/THz microstrip antenna with a newfangled gold radiating patch with two PIN diodes installed on a benzocyclobutene (BCB) polymer is presented. The reconfigurable types of the proposed antenna are frequencies, bandwidths (BWs), and beams reconfigurations. This reconfigurable antenna was designed and simulated with the time-domain based on a FIT solver at the CST MWS solver, while the comparison was with the frequency-domain based onthe FEM solver at the CST MWS solver. The simulation results obtained from both solvers were in fair agreement, supporting the proposed antenna design. These antennas may be used in cellular communication at mmWave/THz band for beyond 5G.
2. Tekbiyik, K., A. R. Ekti, G. K. Kurt, and A. Gorcin, "Terahertz band communication systems: Challenges, novelties and standardization efforts," ELSEVIER Physical Communication, Vol. 35, No. 100700, 1-18, May 2019.
3. Akyildiz, I. F., C. Han, and S. Nie, "Combating the distance problem in the millimeter-wave and terahertz frequency bands," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 102-108, June 2018.
4. Han, C. and Y. Chen, "Propagation modeling for wireless communications in the terahertz band," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 6, 96-101, June 2018.
5. Schneider, T., A. Wiatrek, S. Preobler, M. Grigat, and R. P. Braun, "Link budget analysis for terahertz fixed wireless links," IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology, Vol. 2, No. 2, 250-256, March 2012.
6. Zhao, J., "A survey of reconfigurable intelligent surfaces: Towards 6G wireless communication networks with massive MIMO 2.0," arXiv:1907.04789, 1-7, July 2019.
7. Luo, Y., Q. Zeng, X. Yan, T. Jiang, R. Yang, J. Wang, Y. Wu, Q. Lu, and X. Zhang, "A graphene-based tunable negative refractive index metamaterial and its application in dynamic beam-tilting terahertz antenna," WILEY Periodicals Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 61, No. 12, 2266-2672, December 2019.
8. Bansal, G., A. Marwaha, and A. Singh, "A graphene-based multiband antipodal Vivaldi nanoantenna for UWB applications," Springer Nature Journal of Computational Electronics 19, 709-718, February 2020.
9. Wang, C. L., Y. Q. Wang, H. Hu, D. J. Liu, D. L. Gao, and L. Gao, "Reconfigurable sensor and nanoantenna by graphene-tuned Fano resonance," OSA Optics Express, Vol. 27, No. 24/25, 35925-35935, November 2019.
10. Chen, Z. N., Handbook of Antenna Technologies, Springer Science, September 2016.
11. Christodoulou, C. G., Y. Tawk, S. A. Lane, and S. R. Erwin, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2250-2261, July 2012.
12. Jin, J., Z. Cheng, J. Chen, T. Zhou, C. Wu, and C. Xu, "Reconfigurable terahertz Vivaldi antenna based on hybrid graphene-metal structure," WILEY RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, 1-8, January 2020.
13. Hosseininejad, S. E., M. Neshat, R. Faraji-Dana, S. Abadal, M. C. Lemme, P. H. Bolivar, E. Alarcon, and A. Cabellos-Aparicio, "Terahertz dielectric resonator antenna coupled to graphene plasmonic dipole," IET 12th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2018), 1-5, 2018.
14. Dong, Y., P. Liu, D. Yu, G. Li, and F. Tao, "Dualband reconfigurable terahertz patch antenna with graphene-stack-based backing cavity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1541-1544, February 2016.
15. Sun, L., B. Li, M. Wu, and X. Lv, "A 1-bit 220 GHz reconfigurable reflectarray," IEEE 2019 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT 2019), 1-2, Guangzhou, China, May 19–22, 2019.
16. Kushwaha, R. K. and P. Karuppanan, "Parasitic-coupled high-gain graphene antenna employed on PBG dielectric grating substrate for THz applications," WILEY Microwave Optical Technology Letter, 1-9, 2019.
17. Usman, M., S. Tanoli, F. Khan, W.-U.-R. Khan, S. M. Umar, and S. Ullah, "Pattern reconfigurable two element printed patch antenna for THz wireless applications," IEEE 2020 3rd International Conference on Computing, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies (iCoMET2020), 1-7, Sukkur, Pakistan, January 29–30, 2020.
18. Varshney, G., "Reconfigurable graphene antenna for THz applications: A mode conversion approach," IOP Publishing Nanotechnology, Vol. 31, No. 13, 1-16, January 2020.
19. Yao, W.-L., X.-G. Guo, Y.-M. Zhu, and P. Li, "Terahertz beam reconfigurable micro-strip Quasi-Yagi-Uda antenna based on monolayer graphene," Springer Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 39, No. 1, 39-46, February 2020.
20. Krid, H. B., Z. Houaneb, and H. Zairi, "Reconfigurable graphene annular ring antenna for medical and imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 53-62, 2020.
21. Dash, S. and A. Patnaik, "Behavior of graphene-based planar antenna at microwave and terahertz frequency," ELSEVIER Photonics, and Nanostructures — Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 40, 1-13, April 2020.
22. Parchin, N. O., H. J. Basherlou, Y. I. A. Al-Yasir, A. M. Abdulkhaleq, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Reconfigurable antennas: Switching techniques — A survey," IMDP Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 36, 1-14, May 2020.
23. Tanaka, Y., H. Uda, H. Hayashi, H. Ueda, and M. Usui, "A 76–77 GHz high isolation GaAs PIN-diode switch MMIC," R&D Review of Toyota CRDL, Vol. 37, No. 2, 19-26, May 2002.
24. Bondarik, A. and D. Sjoberg, "Pattern reconfigurable wideband stacked microstrip patch antenna for 60 GHz," Springer International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 1-12, May 2016.
25. Borgia, A., New materials and technologies for compact antennas and circuits at millimeter frequency, Ph.D. thesis, Electrical and Electronics Engineer, 2010.
26. Woehrmann, M. and M. Toepper, "Polymerization of thin film polymers," INTECH Open Science, 113-138, September 2012.
27. Su, T., W. Men, Z. Wang, L. Xuan, and W. Zhao, "POSS-benzocyclobutene (POSS-BCB) resin: A hybrid thermosetting material with high thermal stability and a lowdielectric constant," SAGE High-Performance Polymers, 1-7, November 2017.
28. Huang, C., L. Pan, R. Liu, and Z. Wang, "Thermal and electrical properties of BCB-liner through-silicon vias," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 4, No. 12, 1936-1946, December 2014.
29. Nissanov (Nissan), U., G. Singh, E. Gelbart, and N. Kumar, "Highly directive microstrip array antenna with FSS for future generation cellular communication at THz band," Springer Nature Wireless Personal Communications, 1-20, January 2021.
30., , https://www.3ds.com/products-services/simulia/products/cst-studio-suite.
31., , http://www.pcb-tecnomec.com.