In this paper, the performance analysis of a dual-hop reconfigurable intelligent surface (RIS)-aided power line communication (PLC) system is presented under different relay transmission protocols. The relay is assumed to be decode-and-forward (DF) or amplify-and-forward (AF) relaying protocol. It is also assumed that the RIS link is subjected to Rayleigh fading while the PLC link undergoes Log-normal fading with the influence of additive background and impulsive noise. To evaluate the system performance, the end-to-end cumulative distribution function for both relaying protocols are derived. Based on these, the analysis expressions for the system outage probability and average bit error rate (ABER) are derived under DF and AF relaying protocols. To gain further insight about the system performance, the asymptotic analysis for the derived expressions is obtained at high signal-to-noise ratio regime. The findings illustrate the significant impact of the number of RIS elements and impulsive noise on the overall system performance. In addition, the accuracy of the analytical results is justified through Monte-Carlo simulations.
1. Gheth, W., K. M. Rabie, B. Adebisi, M. Ijaz, and G. Harris, "Performance analysis of integrated power-line/visible-light communication systems with AF relaying," 2018 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), 1-6, IEEE, 2018.
2. Rabie, K. M., B. Adebisi, H. Gacanin, and S. Yarkan, "Energy-per-bit performance analysis of relay-assisted power line communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Green Communications Networking, Vol. 2, No. 2, 360-368, 2018. doi:10.1109/TGCN.2018.2794613
3. Gheth, W., K. M. Rabie, B. Adebisi, M. Ijaz, G. Harris, and A. Alfitouri, "Hybrid powerline/wireless communication systems for indoor applications," 2018 11th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks & Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), 1-6, IEEE, 2018.
4. Yang, L., X. Yan, S. Li, D. B. da Costa, and M.-S. Alouini, "Performance analysis of dual-hop mixed PLC/RF communication systems," arXiv preprint arXiv:.09051, 2020.
5. Anastasiadou, D. and T. Antonakopoulos, "Multipath characterization of indoor power-line networks," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 20, No. 1, 90-99, 2005. doi:10.1109/TPWRD.2004.832373
6. Rozman, M., A. Ikpehai, B. Adebisi, and K. M. Rabie, "Channel characterisation of cooperative relaying power line communication systems," 2016 10th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), 1-5, IEEE, 2016.
7. Makarfi, A. U., R. Kharel, K. M. Rabie, O. Kaiwartya, X. Li, and D.-T. Do, "Reconfigurable intelligent surfaces based cognitive radio networks," arXiv preprint arXiv:.10946, 2020.
8. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and O. O. Olakanmi, "Performance analysis of reconfigurable intelligent surface assisted underwater optical communication system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 101-111, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20101203
9. Yang, L., Y. Yang, D. B. da Costa, and I. Trigui, "Performance analysis of an interference-limited RIS-aided network," arXiv preprint arXiv:.07479, 2020.
10. Tang, Z., T. Hou, Y. Liu, J. Zhang, and L. Hanzo, "Physical layer security of intelligent reflective surface aided NOMA networks," arXiv preprint arXiv:.03417, 2020.
11. Odeyemi, K. O., P. A. Owolawi, and O. O. Olakanmi, "Reconfigurable intelligent surface assisted mobile network with randomly moving user over Fisher-Snedecor fading channel," Physical Communication, Vol. 43, 101186, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.phycom.2020.101186
12. Basar, E., M. Di Renzo, J. De Rosny, M. Debbah, M.-S. Alouini, and R. Zhang, "Wireless communications through reconfigurable intelligent surfaces," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 116753-116773, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2935192
13. Basar, E., "Transmission through large intelligent surfaces: A new frontier in wireless communications," 2019 European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC), 112-117, IEEE, 2019. doi:10.1109/EuCNC.2019.8801961
14. Dubey, A. and R. K. Mallik, "PLC system performance with AF relaying," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 63, No. 6, 2337-2345, 2015. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2015.2427171
15. Ahiadormey, R. K., P. Anokye, H.-S. Jo, and K.-J. Lee, "Performance analysis of two-way relaying in cooperative power line communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 97264-97280, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2926750
16. Passerini, F. and A. M. Tonello, "Analog full-duplex amplify-and-forward relay for power line communication networks," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 23, No. 4, 676-679, 2019. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2019.2901480
17. Salem, A., K. M. Rabie, K. A. Hamdi, E. Alsusa, and A. M. Tonello, "Physical layer security of cooperative relaying power-line communication systems," 2016 International Symposium on Power Line Communications and Its Applications (ISPLC), 185-189, IEEE, 2016. doi:10.1109/ISPLC.2016.7476261
18. Yang, L., W. Guo, and I. S. Ansari, "Mixed dual-hop FSO-RF communication systems through reconfigurable intelligent surface," IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1558-1562, 2020. doi:10.1109/LCOMM.2020.2986002
19. Yang, L., W. Guo, D. B. da Costa, and M.-S. Alouini, "Free-space optical communication with reconfigurable intelligent surfaces," arXiv preprint arXiv:.00547, 2020.
20. Yang, L., F. Meng, J. Zhang, M. O. Hasna, and M. Di Renzo, "On the performance of RIS-assisted dual-hop UAV communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 69, No. 9, 10385-10390, 2020. doi:10.1109/TVT.2020.3004598
21. Jani, M., P. Garg, and A. Gupta, "Performance analysis of a mixed cooperative PLC-VLC system for indoor communication systems," IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 14, No. 1, 469-476, 2019. doi:10.1109/JSYST.2019.2911717
22. Jani, M., P. Gargt, and A. Gupta, "Modeling and outage analysis of DF relay assisted mixed PLC-VLC system," 2018 Twenty Fourth National Conference on Communications (NCC), 1-5, IEEE, 2018.
23. Prudnikov, A., Y. A. Brychkov, and O. Marichev, Integrals and series Volume 3: More Special Functions, Taylor and Francis, Oxford, UK, 2003.
24. Proakis, J. G. and M. J. I. Salehi, Digital Communications, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1995.
25. Yang, L. and Y. Yuan, "Secrecy outage probability analysis for RIS-assisted NOMA systems," Electronics Letters, Vol. 56, No. 23, 1254-1256, 2020. doi:10.1049/el.2020.2284
26. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, Academic Press, 2014.
27. Adamchik, V. and O. Marichev, "The algorithm for calculating integrals of hypergeometric type functions and its realization in REDUCE system," Proceedings of the International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, 212-224, 1990.
28. Li, S., L. Yang, and D. B. da Costa, "Performance analysis of UAV-based mixed RF-UWOC transmission systems," arXiv preprint arXiv:.09062, 2020.
29. Yang, L., M.-S. Alouini, and I. S. Ansari, "Asymptotic performance analysis of two-way relaying FSO networks with nonzero boresight pointing errors over double-generalized gamma fading channels," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 67, No. 8, 7800-7805, 2018. doi:10.1109/TVT.2018.2833871