In this paper, a novel mechanical-variable-flux flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet (MVF-FI-IPM) motor is proposed, which employs a mechanical flux-adjusting device and owns the characteristic of Ld>Lq. The magnetic poles can be rotated by the mechanical device to vary the leakage flux and adjust the angle of magnetization direction relative to the d-axis. The characteristic of Ld>Lq is achieved through the adoption of surface flux barriers. The topology structure and operation principle of the machine are introduced. Then, the operation of the mechanical flux-adjusting device is analyzed by virtual prototype technology. Based on the two-dimensional finite element method (FEM), the electromagnetic characteristics of the proposed motor and FI-IPM motor are compared. Finally, the results show the proposed motor with a better flux-weakening capability and a lower risk of irreversible demagnetization than that of the FI-IPM motor.
2. Chen, Q., G. Xu, F. Zhai, and G. Liu, "A novel Spoke-type PM motor with auxiliary salient poles for low torque pulsation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 6, 4762-4773, 2020.
3. Liu, F., L. Cheng, M. Wang, G. Qiao, P. Zheng, and H. Yang, "Comparative study of hybrid-PM variable-flux machines with different series PM configurations," AIP Advances, Vol. 9, No. 12, 19-25, 2019.
4. Afinowi, I. A. A., Z. Q. Zhu, Y. Guan, J. C. Mipo, and P. Farah, "Switched-flux machines with hybrid NdFeB and ferrite magnets," Compel the International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 35, No. 2, 456-472, 2016.
5. Liu, X. P., M. Wang, D. Chen, and Q. H. Xie, "A variable flux axial field permanent magnet synchronous machine with a novel mechanical device," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 11, 5876-5887, 2015.
6. Aljehaimi, A. M. and P. Pillay, "Operating envelopes of the variable-flux machine with positive reluctance torque," IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification, Vol. 4, No. 3, 707-719, 2018.
7. Ibrahim, M., L. Masisi, and P. Pillay, "Design of variable flux permanent-magnet machine for reduced inverter rating," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 51, No. 5, 3666-3674, 2015.
8. Hua, H., Z. Q. Zhu, A. Pride, R. P. Deodhar, and T. Sasaki, "Comparison of end effect in series and parallel hybrid permanent-magnet variable-flux memory machines," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 55, No. 3, 2529-2537, 2019.
9. Limsuwan, N., T. Kato, K. Akatsu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Design and evaluation of a variable-flux flux-intensifying interior permanent-magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 2, 1015-1024, 2014.
10. Limsuwan, N., Y. Shibukawa, D. D. Reigosa, and R. D. Lorenz, "Novel design of flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet synchronous machine suitable for self-sensing control at very low speed and power conversion," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 47, No. 5, 2004-2012, 2011.
11. Kato, T., N. Limsuwan, C. Y. Yu, K. Akatsu, and R. D. Lorenz, "Rare earth reduction using a novel variable magnetomotive force flux-intensified IPM machine," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 50, No. 3, 1748-1756, 2014.
12. Liu, F. J., X. Y. Zhu, W. Y. Wu, L. Quan, Z. X. Xiang, and Y. Z. Hua, "Design and analysis of an interior permanent magnet synchronous machine with multiflux-barriers based on flux-intensifying effect," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 28, No. 3, 1949-1964, 2018.
13. Kim, K. C., K. Kim, H. J. Kim, and J. Lee, "Demagnetization analysis of permanent magnets according to rotor types of interior permanent magnet synchronous motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 6, 2799-2802, 2009.
14. Zhao, X. K., B. Q. Kou, L. Zhang, and H. Q. Zhang, "Design and analysis of permanent magnets in a negative-salient permanent magnet synchronous motor," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, No. 54, 182249-182259, 2020.
15. Zhu, X. Y., W. Y. Wu, S. Yang, Z. X. Xiang, and L. Quan, "Comparative design and analysis of new type of flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet motors with different Q-axis rotor flux barriers," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2260-2269, 2018.
16. Ngo, K., M. F. Hsieh, and A. Huynh, "Torque enhancement for a novel flux intensifying PMa- SynRM using surface-inset permanent magnet," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 55, No. 7, 253-260, 2019.
17. Sun, A., et al., "Magnetization and performance analysis of a variable-flux flux-intensifying interior permanent magnet machine," 2015 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), 369-375, 2015.
18. Chen, J., J. Li, and R. Qu, "Maximum-torque-per-ampere and magnetization-state control of a variable-flux permanent magnet machine," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 65, No. 2, 1158-1169, 2018.
19. Zhu, X., S. Yang, Y. Du, Z. Xiang, and L. Xu, "Electromagnetic performance analysis and verification of a new flux-intensifying permanent magnet brushless motor with two-layer segmented permanent magnets," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1-4, 2016.
20. Zhang, L., X. Zhu, J. Gao, and Y. Mao, "Design and analysis of new five-phase flux-intensifying fault-tolerant interior-permanent-magnet motor for sensorless operation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 67, No. 7, 6055-6065, 2020.
21. Huang, C. Z., Z. X. Zhang, X. P. Liu, J. J. Xiao, and H. Xu, "Finite element analysis and dynamics simulation of mechanical flux-varying PM machines with auto-rotary PMs," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 19, No. 3, 744-750, 2019.
22. Liu, X., T. Sun, Y. Zou, C. Huang, and J. Liang, "Modelling and analysis of a novel mechanical-variable- flux IPM machine with rotatable magnetic poles," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol. 14, No. 11, 2171-2178, 2020.
23. Morimoto, E., N. Niguchi, and K. Hirata, "Variable flux permanent magnet motor utilizing centrifugal force," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 52, No. 1–2, 563-569, 2016.