Although spiral antennas have undergone continuous development and refinement since Edwin Turner conceived them in 1954, only a few compact planar arrays exist. The shortcoming is even more significant when it comes to spiral antenna arrays in mode M2 operation. The present work addresses this issue, among other things. It presents two planar arrays of spiral antennas operating in the same frequency band and radiating for the first one an axial mode M1 and a conical mode M2 for the second. Both arrays are modeled, simulated, and fed with a corporate feeding network embedded in a dielectric substrate. It is shown that keeping the same topology, the array for conical M1 mode can be obtained from the array for mode M2 by a simple introduction of a phase shift on one branch of the feed and vice versa, providing thus the possibility to obtain in the same structure a spiral antenna array operating in both modes in the same frequency band simultaneously. Comparison between simulated and measured data shows good agreement.
2. Karlson, C., P. Cavero, T. Tekin, and D. Pouhe, "A new broadband antenna for satellite communications," Antennas & Propagation in Wireless Communications, 2014.
3. Tcheg, P. and D. Pouhe, "A design methodology for the implementation of planar spiral antennas with an integrated corporate feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 239-253, 2020.
4. Baghernia, E., M. M. Ali, and A. R. Sebak, "2 × 2 slot spiral cavity backed antenna array fed by printed gap waveguide," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 170609-170617, 2020.
5. Duhamel, R. H. and J. P. Scherer, "Frequency independant antenna," Antenna Engineering Handbook, R. C. Johnson, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
6. Zhou, H., A. Pal, A. Mehta, and H. Nakano, "6 × 6 array of four-arm spiral antennas for high-gain satellite receiver applications at low elevation," Proc. 2018 IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 469-470, Jul. 8–13, 2018.
7. Zhu, Q., K.-B. Ng, and C. H. Chan, "Printed circularly polarized spiral antenna array for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 2, 636-643, Feb. 2017.
8. Huang, J., W. Lin, F. Qiu, C. Jiang, D. Lei, and Y. J. Guo, "A low profile, ultra-lightweight, high efficient circularly-polarized antenna array for Ku band satellite applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 18356-18365, 2017.
9. Wu, Q., J. Hirokawa, J. Yin, C. Yu, H. Wang, and W. Hong, "Millimeter-wave planar broadband circularly polarized antenna array using stacked curl elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 7052-7062, Dec. 2017.
10. Baghernia, E., R. Movahedinia, and A. R. Sebak, "Broadband compact circularly polarized spiral antenna array fed by printed gap waveguide for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 9, 86-95, 2021.
11. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2012.
12. Henderson, A. and J. R. James, "Design of microstrip antenna feeds. Part 1: Estimation of radiation loss and design implications," IEE Proc. H — Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 128, No. 1, Feb. 1981.
13. Hall, P. S. and J. R. James, "Design of microstrip antenna feeds. Part 2: Design and performance limitations of triplate corporate feeds," IEE Proc. H — Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 128, No. 1, Feb. 1981.
14. Horng, T. S. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Corporate feed design for microstrip arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 12, 1615-1624, Dec. 1993.
15. Tcheg, P., K. D. Bello, and D. Pouhe, "A planar equiangular spiral antenna array for the V- /W-band," Proc. 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 1148-1152, Mar. 19–24, 2017.
16. Chen, T.-K., "Analysis and design of a multifunctional spiral antenna,", Dissertation, Texas A&M University, Aug. 2012.