RAdio Detection And Ranging (RADAR) is an essential tool used extensively to detect a target's presence within the vicinity characterized by the range of the RADAR. In order to localize the target, Direction of Departure (DOD) and Direction of Arrival (DOA) estimations are utilized. To make it more convenient, a bistatic multiple input multiple output (MIMO) configuration is exploited to deduce the position of a target through the triangulation method easily. Furthermore, due to the maneuvering of targets in space, more robust direction finding solutions can be derived using Time-Frequency (TF) representations. Thus, this paper aims to leverage the benefits of TF analysis for the estimation of DOD and DOA jointly for a bistatic MIMO radar. The performance of the considered method is numerically evaluated and is compared against the conventional algorithms that do not use TF tools and as well compared against the Cramer Rao Lower Bound (CRLB). The results show that TF based approach may be a promising candidate in terms of its robustness against channel noise. Also, the performance of the TF based DOD-DOA estimates is studied in terms of their consistency and resolvability of targets which measures the performance in a multi-target environment. Finally, the use-case of TF based estimation to solve the problem in the presence of coherent targets is analysed through simulations and inferred.
2. Chintagunta, S. and P. Ponnusamy, "Spatial and polarization angle estimation of mixed-targets in MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 82, 49-59, 2019.
3. Zhang, X., X. Gao, G. Feng, and D. Xu, "Blind joint DOA and DOD estimation and identifiability results for MIMO radar with different transmit/receive array manifolds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 101-119, 2009.
4. Foutz, J., A. Spanias, and M. K. Banavar, "Narrowband direction of arrival estimation for antenna arrays," Synthesis Lectures on Antennas, Vol. 8, 1-79, 2008.
5. Zheng, G. and B. Chen, "Unitary dual-resolution ESPRIT for joint DOD and DOA estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 26, No. 1, 159-178, 2013.
6. Chen, J., H. Gu, and W. Su, "A new method for joint DOD and DOA estimation in bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 90, No. 2, 714-718, 2010.
7. Xie, R., Z. Liu, and J. Wu, "Direction finding with automatic pairing for bistatic MIMO radar," Signal Processing, Vol. 92, No. 1, 198-203, 2012.
8. Ciuonzo, D., G. Romano, and R. Solimene, "Performance analysis of time-reversal MUSIC," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 63, No. 10, 2650-2662, May 2015.
9. Devaney, A. J., "Time reversal imaging of obscured targets from multistatic data," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1600-1610, May 2005.
10. Ciuonzo, D., "On Time-reversal imaging by statistical testing," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 24, No. 7, 1024-1028, July 2017.
11. Li, J. and P. Stoica, MIMO Radar Signal Processing, 2008.
12. Khan, N. A., S. Ali, M. Mohammadi, and M. Haneef, "Direction of arrival estimation of sources with intersecting signature in time-requency domain using a combination of IF estimation and MUSIC algorithm," Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, 2019.
13. Zhang, Y., M. Amin, and B. Himed, "Joint DOD/DOA estimation in MIMO radar exploiting time-frequency signal representations," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2012.
14. Sergios, T. and R. Chellappa, Academic Press Library in Signal Processing, Volume 3: Array and Statistical Signal Processing, 1st Ed., 1st Edition, Chapter 3, Academic Press, Inc., USA, 2013.
15. Cohen, L., Time-frequency Analysis: Theory and Applications, Prentice-Hall, Inc., USA, 1995.
16. Amin, M. G. and Y. Zhang, "Spatial time-frequency distributions and their applications," Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications, 2001.
17. Amin, M. G. and Y. Zhang, "Direction finding based on spatial time-frequency distribution matrices," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 10, No. 4, 325-339, 2000.
18. Stoica, P. and R. Moses, Spectral Analysis of Signals, Prentice Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA, 2005.
19. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S Hari, "Analysis of subspace-based direction of arrival estimation methods," Sadhana, Academic Proceedings in Engineering sciences, Vol. 16, No. 3, 183-194, Nov. 1991.
20. Shan, T.-J., M. Wax, and T. Kailath, "On spatial smoothing for direction-of-arrival estimation of coherent signals," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 33, No. 4, 806-811, August 1985.
21. Subramaniam, K., P. Ponnusamy, and S. Chintagunta, "Polarization difference smoothing in bistatic MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 88, 67-74, 2020.
22. Lee, Y., C. Park, T. Kim, Y. Choi, K. Kim, D. Kim, M.-S. Lee, and D. Lee, "Source enumeration approaches using eigenvalue gaps and machine learning based threshold for direction-of-arrival estimation," Applied Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 1942, 2021.
23. Valaee, S. and P. Kabal, "An information theoretic approach to source enumeration in array signal processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1171-1178, May 2004.