A MIMO antenna for smartphones with radiation diversity is presented in this article. The proposed design consists of dual-fed Complementary Split Ring Resonator metamaterial antenna components design, which is located at the edges of an FR-4 substrate. The total dimension is 75 mm x 150 mm x 1.6 mm. 50-ohm dual microstrip feed lines placed orthogonal to each other are used to feed the SRR. Due to this orthogonality, radiation diversity is easily achieved. The proposed structure is operated in dual bands from 3.43 GHz to 3.62 GHz and 4.78 GHz to 5.04 GHz. In both, the band's good impedance bandwidth with a reasonable gain is achieved. The entire structure is simulated using CST EM software. All the simulated results are presented, which clearly show that the proposed structure is a good candidate for the future smartphone massive MIMO application.
1. Sharawi, M. S., Printed MIMO Antenna Engineering, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2014.
2. Parchin, N. O., et al., "8 × 8 MIMO antenna system with coupled-fed elements for 5G handsets," The IET Conference on Antennas and Propagation (APC), Birmingham, UK, Nov. 11-12, 2019.
3. Ojaroudiparchin, N., et al., "Multi-layer 5G mobile phone antenna for multi-user MIMO communications," TELFOR 2015, Serbia, Nov. 2015.
4. Parchin, N. O., et al., "MM-wave phased array quasi-yagi antenna for the upcoming 5G cellular communications," Applied Sciences, Vol. 9, 1-14, 2019.
5. Gupta, P., "Evolvement of mobile generations: 1G to 5G," International Journal for Technological Research in Engineering, Vol. 1, 152-157, 2013.
6. Ojaroudi, N., "Design of microstrip antenna for 2.4/5.8 GHz RFID applications," GeMic 2014, RWTH Aachen University, Germany, 2014.
7. Zhang, S., K. Zhao, Z. Ying, and S. He, "Adaptive quad-element multi-wideband antenna array for user-effective LTE MIMO mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4275-4283, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2260714
9. Li, H., Z. T. Miers, and B. K. Lau, "Design of orthogonal MIMO handset antennas based on characteristic mode manipulation at frequency bands below 1 GHz," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 5, 2756-2766, May 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2308530
10. Elshaer, H., M. N. Kulkarni, F. Boccardi, J. G. Andrews, and M. Dohler, "Downlink and uplink cell association with traditional macrocells and millimeter wave small cells," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 15, No. 9, 6244-6258, Sep. 2016. doi:10.1109/TWC.2016.2582152
11. Holter, B., "On the capacity of the MIMO channel: A tutorial introduction," Proc. IEEE Norwegian Symp. Signal Processing, 167-172, 2001.
12. Zheng, L. and C. Tse, "Diversity and multiplexing: A fundamental trade-off in multiple antenna channels," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 49, 1073-1096, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TIT.2003.810646
13. WRC-15 Press Release, (Nov. 27, 2015), World Radio Communication Conference Allocates Spectrum for Future Innovation, [Online]. Available: http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press releases/2015/56.aspx.
14. Qualcomm. (Sep. 2015), Making the Best Use of Licensed and Unlicensed Spectrum, [Online]. Available: https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/making-the-best-useof-unlicensed-spectrum-presentation.pdf.
15. IMT-2020 (5G) Promotion Group, (Feb. 2015), White Paper on 5G Concept, [Online]. Available: http://www.imt-2020.org.cn/zh/documents/download.
16. Al-Hadi, A. A., J. Ilvonen, R. Valkonen, and V. Viikari, "Eight-element antenna array for diversity and MIMO mobile terminal in LTE 3500 MHz band," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1323-1327, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28316
17. Wong, K. L. and J. Y. Lu, "3.6-GHz 10-antenna array for MIMO operation in the smartphone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1699-1704, Jul. 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29181
18. Li, M. Y., et al., "Eight-port orthogonally dual-polarized antenna array for 5G smartphone applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 9, 3820-3830, Sep. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2583501
19. Wong, K. L., J. Y. Lu, L. Y. Chen, W. Y. Li, and Y. L. Ban, "8-antenna and 16-antenna arrays using the quad-antenna linear array as a building block for the 3.5-GHz LTE MIMO operation in the smartphone," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 1, 174-181, Jan. 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29527
20. Qin, Z., W. Geyi, M. Zhang, and J. Wang, "Printed eight-element MIMO system for compact and thin 5G mobile handest," Electron. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 6, 416-418, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1049/el.2015.3960
21. Ban, Y. L., C. Li, C. Y. D. Sim, G. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "4G/5G multiple antennas for future multi-mode smartphone applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 4, 2981-2988, Jul. 2016.
22. Wong, K. L., C. Y. Tsai, C. Y. Lu, D. M. Chian, and W. Y. Li, "Compact eight MIMO antennas for 5G smartphones and their MIMO capacity verification," Proc. URSI Asia-Pac. Radio Sci. Conf., 1054-1056, Seoul, 2016.
23. Wong, K. L., C. Y. Tsai, and J. Y. Lu, "Two asymmetrically mirrored gap-coupled loop antennas as a compact building block for eight-antenna MIMO array in the future smartphone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 4, 1765-1778, Apr. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2670534
24. Prasad Jones Christydass, S., S. Praveen, S. Naveen Kumar, S. Rakesh Kumar, and M. Periakaruppan, "Design and implementation of tera-hertz antenna for high speed wireless communication," Biosc. Biotech. Res. Comm. Special Issue, Vol. 13, No. 3, May 2020.
25. Prasad Jones Christydass, S., B. Monisha, S. Shanthini, and R. Saranya, "Metamaterial inspired MIMO antenna for radar, satellite and terrestrial communications," Biosc. Biotech. Res. Comm. Special Issue, Vol. 13, No. 3, May 2020.
26. Prasad Jones Christydass, S. and N. Gunavathi, "Dual-band complementary split-ring resonator engraved rectangular monopole for GSM and WLAN/WiMAX /5G sub-6 GHz band (new radio band)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 251-263, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21052007
27. Shanthi, S., T. Jayasankar, S. Prasad Jones Christydass, and P. Maheswara Venkatesh, "Wearable textile antenna for GPS application," International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research, Vol. 8, No. 11, Nov. 2019.
28. Ramya, N., M. Sujatha, T. Jayasankar, and S. Prasad Jones Christydass, "Metamaterial inspired circular antenna with DGS for tetra band application," International Journal of Control and Automation, Vol. 13, No. 2, 877-882, Apr. 2020.
29. Prasad Jones Christydass, S. and N. Gunavathi, "Octa-band metamaterial inspired multiband monopole antenna for wireless application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 113, 97-110, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21041102
30. Prasad Jones Christydass, S., A. S. Priyanka, S. Sugil, and R. Soundharya, "Metamaterial inspired bandpass filter for 5G application," Biosc. Biotech. Res. Comm. Special Issue, Vol. 13, No. 3, May 2020.
31. Prasad Jones Christydass, S. and N. Gunavathi, "A tri-band monopole antenna loaded with circular electric-inductive-capacitive metamaterial resonator for wireless application," Applied Physics A, Vol. 126, No. 10, 1-11, 2020.
32. Khan, M. S., D. E. Anagnostou, and R. M. Shubair, "A compact CSRR enabled UWB MIMO antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 808-812, Aug. 2016.
33. Asif, S., J. Hansen, M. S. Khan, S.Walden, M. O. Jensen, and D. L. Ewert, "Design and in vivo test of a battery-less and fully wireless implantable asynchronous pacing system," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 63, No. 5, 1070-1081, Sep. 2015. doi:10.1109/TBME.2015.2477403
34. Iftikhar, A., R. M. Shubair, A.-D. Capobianco, and B. D. Braaten, "Eight-element compact UWB-MIMO/diversity antenna with WLAN band rejection for 3G/4G/5G communications," IEEE Open Journal on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 196-206, Apr. 2020.
35. Khan, M. U. and M. S. Sharawi, "A compact 8-element MIMO antenna system for 802.11ac WLAN applications," 2013 International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 91-94, 2013, doi: 10.1109/IWAT.2013.6518306. doi:10.1109/IWAT.2013.6518306
36. Prasad Jones Christydass, S. and N. Gunavathi, "Design of CSRR loaded multiband slotted rectangular patch antenna," 2017 IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC), 1-2, 2017, doi: 10.1109/AEMC.2017.8325711.
37. Prasad Jones Christydass, S. and N. Gunavathi, "Co-directional CSRR inspired printed antenna for locomotive short range radar," 2017 International Conference on Inventive Computing and Informatics (ICICI), 627-630, 2017, doi: 10.1109/ICICI.2017.8365209. doi:10.1109/ICICI.2017.8365209