This paper reports the investigation of a one-dimensional (1D) photonic crystal (PhC) sensor with improved performance for detecting different categories of cancer cells. The sensing region consists of a vertical slot (VS) introduced inside the periodic Bragg mirror. The structure operating principle is based on the change of the refractive index (RI) of the analyte incorporated in the VS, which leads to the shift in the resonant wavelength peak. The sensing properties have been numerically simulated and analyzed using the transfer matrix method (TMM). The study shows that the optimization process of the structure tends to enhance sensitivity. From the result of the numerical simulation, it is found that the final optimized sensor exhibits the higher sensitivity of 3201 nm/RIU than other similar devices. We believe that the obtained results will be valuable for designing highly sensitive PhC sensors.
2. Danaie, M. and B. Kiani, "Design of a label-free photonic crystal refractive index sensor for biomedical applications," Photonics and Nanostructures --- Fundamentals and Applications, Vol. 31, 89-98, 2018.
3. Ayyanar, N., G. Thavasi Raja, M. Sharma, and D. Sriram Kumar, "Photonic crystal fiber-based refractive index sensor for early detection of cancer," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 18, No. 17, 7093-7099, 2018.
4. Roy, S. K. and P. Sharan, "Photonic crystal based sensor for DNA analysis of cancer detection," Silicon Photonics & High Performance Computing, Vol. 718, 79-85, 2018.
5. Emami Nejad, H., A. Mir, and A. Farmani, "Supersensitive and tunable nano-biosensor for cancer detection," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 19, No. 13, 4874-4881, 2019.
6. Parvin, T., K. Ahmed, A. M. Alatwi, and A. N. Z. Rashed, "Differential optical absorption spectroscopy-based refractive index sensor for cancer cell detection," Optical Review, Vol. 28, No. 01, 134-143, 2021.
7. Segovia-Chaves, F. and H. Vinck-Posada, "Superconductor-semiconductor one-dimensional photonic crystal using a cancer cell as a defect layer," Optik, Vol. 224, 165465, 2020.
8. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 58, No. 20, 2059-2062, 1987.
9. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 58, No. 23, 2486-2489, 1987.
10. Bounaas, F. and A. Labbani, "High sensitivity temperature sensor based on photonic crystal resonant cavity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 90, 85-90, 2020.
11. Hosseinzadeh Sani, M., A. Ghanbari, and H. Saghaei, "An ultra-narrowband all-optical filter based on the resonant cavities in rod-based photonic crystal microstructure," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 6, 295, 2020.
12. Moumeni, I. and A. Labbani, "Very high efficient of 1 × 2, 1 × 4 and 1 × 8 Y beam splitters based on photonic crystal ring slot cavity," Opt. Quant. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 2, 129, 2021.
13. Sana, A. K., K. Honzawa, Y. Amemiya, and S. Yokoyama, "Silicon photonic crystal resonators for label free biosensor," Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 55, No. 45, 04EM11, 2016.
14. Pitruzzello, G. and T. F. Krauss, "Photonic crystal resonances for sensing and imaging," Journal of Optics, Vol. 20, No. 07, 073004, 2018.
15. Abirami, N. and K. S. Joseph Wilson, "Investigation on photonic band gap of a magneto photonic crystal," Optik, Vol. 208, 164092, 2020.
16. Naghizade, S. and H. Saghaei, "A novel design of all-optical 4 to 2 encoder with multiple defects in silica-based photonic crystal fiber," Optik, Vol. 222, 165419, 2020.
17. Ankita, B. S. and A. Bhargava, "Biosensor application of one-dimensional photonic crystal for malaria diagnosis," Plasmonics, Vol. 16, No. 01, 59-63, 2021.
18. Aly, A. H., Z. A. Zaky, A. S. Shalaby, A. M. Ahmed, and D. Vigneswaran, "Theoretical study of hybrid multifunctional one-dimensional photonic crystal as a flexible blood sugar sensor," Physica Scripta, Vol. 95, No. 03, 035510, 2020.
19. Mehaney, A., "Phononic crystal as a neutron detector," Ultrasonics, Vol. 93, 37-42, 2019.
20. Segovia-Chaves, F., "Transmittance spectrum of a defective one-dimensional photonic crystal with a protein solution," Optik, Vol. 231, 166408, 2021.
21. Zaky, Z. A., A. M. Ahmed, A. S. Shalaby, and A. H. Aly, "Refractive index gas sensor based on the Tamm state in a one-dimensional photonic crystal: Theoretical optimization," Scientific Reports, Vol. 10, No. 01, 1-9, 2020.
22. Ramanujam, N. R., S. K. Patel, N. Manohar Reddy, S. A. Taya, D. Vigneswaran, and M. S. Mani Rajan, "One-dimensional ring mirror-defect photonic crystal for detection of mycobacterium tuberculosis bacteria," Optik, Vol. 219, 165097, 2020.
23. Habli, O., Y. Bouazzi, and M. Kanzari, "Gas sensing using one-dimensional photonic crystal nanoresonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 92, 251-263, 2019.
24. Lee, C.-M. and Y. Xu, "A modified transfer matrix method for prediction of transmission loss of multilayer acoustic materials," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 326, No. 1-2, 290-301, 2009.
25. Fan, C., J. Wang, S. Zhu, J. He, P. Ding, and E. Liang, "Optical properties in one-dimensional graded soft photonic crystals with ferrofluids," Journal of Optics,, Vol. 15, No. 5, 055103, 2013.
26. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, Vol. 95, Wiley, New York, 1988.
27. Liang, X. J., A. Q. Liu, C. S. Lim, T. C. Ayi, and P. H. Yap, "Determining refractive index of single living cell using an integrated microchip," Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 133, No. 02, 349-354, 2007.
28. Ramanujam, N. R. and K. S. J. Wilson, "Optical properties of silver nanocomposites and photonic band gap --- Pressure dependence," Optics Communications, Vol. 368, 174-179, 2016.
29. Segovia-Chaves, F., H. A. Elsayed, A. Mehaney, and A. M. Ahmed, "Defect mode modulation for a protein solution cavity surrounded by graphene and nanocomposite layers," Optik, Vol. 242, 167161, 2021.
30. Kok, M. H., R. Ma, J. C. W. Lee, W. Y. Tam, C. T. Chan, P. Sheng, and K. W. Cheah, "Photonic band gap effect and structural color from silver nanoparticle gelatin emulsion," Physical Review E, Vol. Physical, No. 4, 047601, 2005.
31. Segovia-Chaves, F. and J. C. Trujillo Yague, "Sensitivity optimization of cells immersed in a cavity surrounded by thin graphene layers in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Optik, Vol. 231, 166355, 2021.
32. Bijalwan, A., B. K. Singh, and V. Rastogi, "Analysis of one-dimensional photonic crystal based sensor for detection of blood plasma and cancer cells," Optik, Vol. 226, 165994, 2021.
33. Aly, A. H. and Z. A. Zaky, "Ultra-sensitive photonic crystal cancer cells sensor with a high-quality factor," Cryogenics, Vol. 104, 102991, 2019.
34. Ramanujam, N. R., I. S. Amiri, S. A. Taya, S. Olyaee, R. Udaiyakumar, A. P. Pandian, K. J. Wilson, P. Mahalakshmi, and P. P. Yupapin, "Enhanced sensitivity of cancer cell using one dimensional nano composite material coated photonic crystal," Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 25, No. 1, 189-196, 2019.
35. Panda, A. and P. Puspa Devi, "Photonic crystal biosensor for refractive index based cancerous cell detection," Optical Fiber Technology, Vol. 54, 102123, 2020.
36. Jindal, S., S. Sobti, M. Kumar, S. Sharma, and M. K. Pal, "Nanocavity-coupled photonic crystal waveguide as highly sensitive platform for cancer detection," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 16, 3705-3710, 2016.