This paper proposes a high gain array antenna operating in the Ku-band at 17.5 GHz for 5G applications. This new antenna is printed on an FR-4 substrate of thickness h = 0.8 mm and realized by changing the geometric shape of a rectangular patch, obtained by inserting an L-shaped slot to enlarge the bandwidth (1.5 GHz) and to increase the gain. To further enhance the gain, we used a 1×2 patch antenna array closely spaced and powered by a 1-to-2 Wilkinson power divider. We inserted two high-impedance surface (HIS) structures between the radiating elements and added two electromagnetic band gap (EBG) layers above the antenna. The antenna gain increases from 7.56 dB to 14.8 dB. The design and simulation have been performed by CST Microwave. A minor difference was noted between the measured and simulated data, where a slight shift was observed in the antenna's resonance frequency, which can be caused by fabrication tolerances or measurement error, uncertainty of the thickness of the FR-4 substrate, and quality of SMA connector used. The final array antenna shows a directional radiation pattern with a gain of 14.8 dB and good radiation efficiency over the operating band.
1. Andrews, J. G., "What will 5G be?," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1065-1082, Jun. 2014. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2014.2328098
2. Hajlaoui, E., A. Zaier, A. Khli, J. Ghodhbane, M. B. Hamed, and L. Sbita, "4G and 5G technologies: A comparative study," 2020 5th International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Signal and Image Processing (ATSIP), 16, Sousse, Tunisia, Sept. 2020.
3. Song, et al., "Research on 4G and 5G authentication signaling.pdf,", 2019.
4. Haraz, O. M., A. Elboushi, S. A. Alshebeili, and A.-R. Sebak, "Dense dielectric patch array antenna with improved radiation characteristics using EBG ground structure and dielectric superstrate for future 5G cellular networks," IEEE Access, Vol. 2, 909-913, 2014. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2014.2352679
5. Al-Tari, M. A., D. E. Anagnostou, A. K. Amert, and K. W. Whites, "Bandwidth enhancement of the resonant cavity antenna by using two dielectric superstrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 4, 1898-1908, Apr. 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2231931
6. Kishk, A. A., "DRA-array with 75% reduction in elements number," 2013 IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 70-72, Austin, TX, USA, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1109/RWS.2013.6486644
7. Abdulhameed, M. K., et al., "Novel design of triple bands EBG," TELKOMNIKA (Telecommunication Computing Electronics and Control), Vol. 17, No. 4, 1683, Aug. 2019. doi:10.12928/telkomnika.v17i4.12616
8. Khadom Mohsen, M., M. S. M. Isa, Z. Zakaria, A. A. M. Isa, M. K. Abdulhameed, and M. L. Attiah, "Control radiation pattern for half width microstrip leaky wave antenna by using PIN diodes," International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), Vol. 8, No. 5, 2959, Oct. 2018. doi:10.11591/ijece.v8i5.pp2959-2966
9. Wong, S. W. and L. Zhu, "EBG-embedded multiple-mode resonator for UWB bandpass lter with improved upper-stopband performance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 421-423, Jun. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.897788
10. Jackson, D. R., J. T. Williams, A. K. Bhattacharyya, R. L. Smith, S. J. Buchheit, and S. A. Long, "Microstrip patch designs that do not excite surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1026-1037, Aug. 1993. doi:10.1109/8.244643
11. Kaabal, A., M. E. halaoui, S. Ahyoud, and A. Asselman, "A low mutual coupling design for array microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap structures," Procedia Technology, Vol. 22, 549-555, 2016. doi:10.1016/j.protcy.2016.01.115
13. Huang and Fan, "Broadband and high-aperture efficiency Fabry-Perot A.pdf,", 2021.
14. Dhull, D., "Design of triple band-notched UWB mimodiversity A.pdf,", 2021.
15. Kaabal, A., et al., "Array antenna design with dual resonators 1D-EBG for enhancement of directivity and radiation bandwidth,", 10, 2019.
16. Dellaoui, S., A. Kaabal, M. E. Halaoui, and A. Asselman, "Patch array antenna with high gain using EBG superstrate for future 5G cellular networks," Procedia Manufacturing, Vol. 22, 463-467, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2018.03.071
17. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, Apr. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2014527
18. Salonenet, P. and Y. Rahimat-Samii, "Effects of antenna bending on input matching and impedance bandwidth,", 5, 2007.
19. Salonen, P., M. Keskilammi, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Textile antennas: Effect of antenna bending on radiation pattern and efficiency," 2008 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 14, San Diego, CA, Jul. 2008.
20. Ferreira, D., P. Pires, R. Rodrigues, and R. F. S. Caldeirinha, "Wearable textile antennas: Examining the effect of bending on their performance," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 59, No. 3, 54-59, Jun. 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2686093
21. Dellaoui, S., A. Asselman, S. Ahyoud, A. Kaabal, L. Rmili, and M. Elhalaoui, "Design of a new patch antenna using EBG structures and superstarte operating in the Ku-band for 5G cellular networks," Mobile, Secure, and Programmable Networking, Vol. 11557, 61-68, Renault, S. Boumerdassi, C. Leghris, and S. Bouzefrane, Ed., Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2019.
22. Karthikeya, G. S., M. P. Abegaonkar, and S. K. Koul, "Low cost high gain triple band mmWaveSierpinski antenna loaded with uniplanar EBG for 5G applications," 2017 IEEE International Conference on Antenna Innovations & Modern Technologies for Ground, Aircraft and Satellite Applications (iAIM), 15, Bangalore, India, Nov. 2017.
23. Arora, C., S. S. Pattnaik, and R. N. Baral, "Performance enhancement of patch antenna array for 5.8 GHz Wi-MAX applications using metamaterial inspired technique," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 79, 124-131, Sept. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.05.045
24. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2042565
25. Leger, L., T. Monediere, and B. Jecko, "Enhancement of gain and radiation bandwidth for a planar 1-D EBG antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 9, 573-575, Sept. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.855373
26. Dalal, P. and S. K. Dhull, "Upper WLAN band notched UWB monopole antenna using compact two via slot electromagnetic band gap structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 100, 161-171, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20012101
28. Mallahzadeh, A., A. Birhadi, and H. Bahrami, "Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) superstrate resonator antenna design for monopulse radiation pattern," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 27, No. 11, 908-917, 2012.
29. Qiuet, M. and S. He, "High-directivity patch antenna with both photonic bandgap substrate and photonic bandgap cover," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, No. 1, 41-44, Jul. 2001.
30. Parikh, H., S. V. Pandey, and M. Sahoo, "Design of a modified E-shaped dual band patch antenna for Ku band application," 2012 International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, 49-52, Rajkot, Gujarat, India, May 2012.
31. Bhadouria, A. S., S. Kumari, and M. Kumar, "X-band and Ku-band patch antenna for radio location applications," Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Cognizance in Wireless Communication & Image Processing, 897-904, N. Afzalpulkar, V. Srivastava, G. Singh, and D. Bhatnagar, Ed., Springer India, New Delhi, 2016.
32. Hasan, Md. I., S. A. H. Chowdhury, A. Khaleque, and M. A. Motin, "Experimental analysis of simple and low cost three band (C-band, Ku-band and K-band) compact patch antenna," 2013 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), 14, Dhaka, Bangladesh, May 2013.
33. Bhadouria, A. S., S. Mieee, and M. Kumar, "Wide Ku-band microstrip patch antenna using defected patch and ground,", 5, 2014.
34. Islam, M. M., M. T. Islam, and M. R. I. Faruque, "Dual-band operation of a microstrip patch antenna on a Duroid 5870 substrate for Ku- and K-bands," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, 110, 2013.
35. Abdulhameed, M. K., M. S. M. Isa, I. M. Ibrahim, M. K. Mohsin, S. R. Hashim, and M. L. Attiah, "Improvement of microstrip antenna performance on thick and high permittivity substrate with electromagnetic band gap," Control Systems, Vol. 10, 10, 2018.