A compact and hexagon-shaped microstrip patch antenna operating in three bands is described in this paper. Multiband functionality of the antenna is achieved by adding two inclined strips and cutting modified slots on the radiating patch. The antenna consists of a hexagonal patch and partial ground plane, has the total dimensions of 15×17 ×1.6 mm3, operates over three frequencies 5.40 GHz, 6.76 GHz, and 8.82 GHz for WLAN, TV satellite broadcasting, WiMAX (5250-5850 MHz), IEEE 802.11a (5.47-5.725 GHz), 5G Unlicensed band (5.2-5.7 GHz), weather monitoring, and radar applications. This antenna has the novelty that it can also be used as a reconfigurable antenna, and the notched bands can be controlled. Simulation of the proposed antenna is carried out using HFSS-15 software. To verify the simulated results, and a prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated. After measurement, simulated and measured results are in good agreement.
2. Mallat, N. K. and A. Iqbal, "Multi-band printed antenna for portable wireless communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 84, 39-46, 2019.
3. Iqbal, A., A. Bouazizi, O. A. Saraereh, A. Basir, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design of multiple band, meandered strips connected patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 79, 51-57, 2018.
4. Pandya, A., T. K. Upadhyaya, and K. Pandya, "Tri-band defected ground plane based planar monopole antenna for Wi-Fi/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 108, 127-136, 2021.
5. Jenath Sathikbasha, M. and V. Nagarajan, "DGS based multiband frequency reconfigurable antenna for wireless applications," International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing, India, April 4-6, 2019.
6. Mondal, K., P. P. Sarkar, and D. C. Sarkar, "High gain triple band microstrip patch antenna for WLAN, Bluetooth and 5.8 GHz/ISM band applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 109, 2121-2131, 2019.
7. Yu, Z., Z. Lin, X. Ran, Y. Li, B. Liang, and X. Wang, "A novel ``回" pane structure multiband microstrip antenna for 2G/3G/4G/5G/WLAN/navigation applications,", Vol. 2021 --- Article ID 5567417 --- https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/5567417.
8. Goud, J. R., N. V. Koteswara Rao, and A. M. Prasad, "Design of triple band U-slot MIMO antenna for simultaneous uplink and downlink communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 271-283, 2020.
9. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact complementary folded triangle split ring resonator triband mobile handset planar antenna for voice and Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 91, 253-264, 2019.
10. Saraswat, K. and A. R. Harish, "Flexible dual-band dual-polarised CPW-fed monopole antenna with discrete-frequency reconfigurability," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 12, 2053-2060, 2019.
11. Ali, T. and R. C. Biradar, "A triple-band highly miniaturized antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave and optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 466-471, 2018.
12. Bashir, U., K. R. Jha, G. Mishra, G. Singh, and S. K. Sharma, "Octahedron shaped linearly polarized antenna for multi-standard services including RFID and IoT," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, July 2017.
13. Pandit, V. K. and A. R. Harish, "A compact CPW-fed triple band monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2016.
14. Fadamiro, A. O., J. D. Ntawangaheza, O. J. Famoriji, Z. Zhang, and F. Lin, "Design of a multiband hexagonal patch antenna for wireless communication systems," IETE Journal of Research, 2019.