In this paper, a single linear antenna array with partially common element excitation amplitudes is used to reconfigure between Taylor-pencil beam and flat-top beam patterns. Two strategies are suggested to properly select the common elements while still satisfying the desired constraints on both patterns. The first strategy uses the central elements of the array as the common elements for the reconfiguration between the required two patterns, while the other one uses the side elements. Since the element excitation amplitudes of the corresponding Taylor and flat-top patterns usually tend to be maximum and similar at the array center, the central common elements approach outperforms the sided one. Compared with the conventional array pattern synthesized methods with completely two separable elements excitations arrays, only a single linear array with a number of common element excitations is needed in the proposed method. Hence, it has advantages of simple structure, low cost, and compact size. Simulation results show that the proposed array with the central common elements approach has the capability to efficiently reconfigure between Taylor and flat-top beams by modifying only 24 elements out of a total 40 array elements with all sidelobe levels of both patterns below -20 dB.
1. Nikolaou, S., et al., "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-448, February 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863398
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 4th Edition, Wiley, 2016.
3. Mohammed, J. R. and K. M. Younus, "Radiation pattern synthesis of planar arrays using parasitic patches fed by a small number of active elements,", Chapter in the book Modern Printed Circuit Antennas, InTechOpen ISBN 978-1-83880-858-7, December 13, 2019.
4. Mohammed, J. R., "A new antenna array pattern synthesis method with sidelobe control," International Journal of Telecommunication, Electronics, and Computer Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 3, 31-36, July-September 2018.
5. Mohammed, J. R., "An optimum side lobe reduction method with weight perturbation," Journal of Computational Electronics, Vol. 18, No. 2, 705-711, US Springer, June 2019. doi:10.1007/s10825-019-01323-5
6. Mohammed, J. R. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Sensitivity of the adaptive nulling to random errors in amplitude and phase excitations in array elements," International Journal of Telecommunication, Electronics, and Computer Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 1, 51-56, January-March 2018.
8. Morabito, A. F., A. R. Lagana, and T. Isernia, "Optimizing power transmission in given target areas in the presence of protection requirements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 44-47, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2354514
9. Palmeri, R., M. T. Bevacqua, A. F. Morabito, and T. A. F. Isernia, "Design of articial-material-based antennas using inverse scattering techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 12, 7076-7090, December 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2871707
10. Mohammed, J. R., "Obtaining wide steered nulls in linear array patterns by controlling the locations of two edge elements," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 101, 145-151, March 2019. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2019.02.004
11. Mohammed, J. R., "Element selection for optimized multi-wide nulls in almost uniformly excited arrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 629-632, April 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2807371
12. Tej, R., K. Ch. Sri Kavya, and S. K. Kotamraju, "Synthesis of phased array antenna for side lobe level reduction using the differential evolution algorithm," International Journal of Speech Technology, March 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10772-020-09701-2.
13. Mohammed, J. R. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Synthesizing asymmetric sidelobe pattern with steered nulling in non-uniformly excited linear arrays by controlling edge elements," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2017, Article ID 9293031, 8 pages, 2017.
14. Mohammed, J. R., "Thinning a subset of selected elements for null steering using binary genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 67, 147-157, March 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18021604
15. Mohammed, J. R., "Optimal null steering method in uniformly excited equally spaced linear array by optimizing two edge elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 13, 835-837, June 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.1405
16. Hemant, P., M. Vikas, K. Rajib, K. S. Prasanna, and K. S. Vijay, "Comparative study of evolutionary algorithms to generate at-top beam pattern for synthesis of a linear antenna array," ICTACT Journal on Communication Technology, Vol. 12, No. 03, 2519-2526, September 2021.
17. Mohammed, J. R., "Synthesizing sum and difference patterns with low complexity feeding network by sharing element excitations," International Journal Of Antennas And Propagation, Vol. 2017, Article ID 2563901, 7 pages, 2017.
18. Mohammed, J. R. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Performance evaluation of the adaptive sidelobe canceller with various auxiliary configurations," AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 80, 179-185, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.06.039