This article proposes a compact microstrip four-port dual circularly polarized (CP) multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with polarization diversity for Sub-6G band. The proposed MIMO antenna consists of four antenna elements, two of which are left-hand circular polarization (LHCP), and the other two are right-hand circular polarization (RHCP). The circular polarization of each antenna element of the MIMO antenna is achieved by a microstrip feed line and a slotted ground plane with two rectangular strips. A novel decoupling element of the antenna composed of I-shaped and II-shaped metal strips is cross-connected and merged between the ground planes of the antenna to obtain wide axial ratio bandwidth and high isolation. The size of the proposed antenna is 55×55×1.6 mm3. The antenna of the impedance bandwidth (S11 ≤ -10 dB) is 3.28-3.80 GHz (14.6%), and the axial ratio bandwidth (AR ≤ 3 dB) is 2.85-3.87 GHz (30.3%). Inter-element isolation less than -16 dB and the envelope correlation coefficient (ECC) less than 0.07 are achieved between the ports of the antenna. The proposed MIMO antenna achieves full coverage of CP characteristics within the impedance bandwidth. The proposed antenna is beneficial to the application of Sub-6G band. At the same time, it is also suitable for dual circular polarization communication and polarization diversity system.
1. Dicandia, F. A., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Analysis of the performance enhancement of MIMO systems employing circular polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 9, 4824-4835, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2723083
2. Saxena, S., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and R. Tiwari, "Compact microstrip antennas with very wide ARBW and triple circularly polarized bands," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 1, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21162
3. Kumar, S., K. W. Kim, H. C. Choi, R. Tiwari, M. K. Khandekwal, S. K. Palaniswamy, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A low profile circularly polarized UWB antenna with integrated GSM band for wireless communication," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 93, 224-232, 2018.
4. Kumar, S., G. H. Lee, D. H. Kim, W. Mohyuddin, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "A compact four-port UWB MIMO antenna with connected ground and wide axial ratio bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 12, No. 1, 75-85, 2019. doi:10.1017/S1759078719000874
5. Malik, J., A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Novel printed MIMO antenna with pattern and polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 739-742, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2377784
6. Sharma, Y., D. Darkar, K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Three-element MIMO antenna system with pattern and polarization diversity for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 1163-1166, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2626394
7. Akbari, M., H. A. Ghalyon, M. Farahni, A.-R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Spatially decoupling of CP antennas based on FSS for 30-GHz MIMO systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 6527-6537, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2693342
8. Parbat, R. S., A. R. Tambe, M. B. Kadu, and R. P. Labade, "Dual polarized triple band 4×4 MIMO antenna with novel mutual coupling reduction approach," 2015 IEEE Bombay Section Symposium (IBSS), 2015.
9. Saxena, S., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Awari, S. Kumar, and R. Tiwari, "A compact dual-polarized MIMO antenna with distinct diversity performance for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3096-3099, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2762426
10. Saurav, K., N. K. Mallat, and Y. M. M. Antar, "A three-port polarization and pattern diversity ring antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, 1324-1328, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2844170
11. Malviya, L., R. K. Panigrahi, and M. Kartikeyan, "Circularly polarized 2×2 MIMO antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 66, 97-107, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16051905
12. Jalali, M., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Dual circularly polarized multilayer MIMO antenna array with an enhanced SR-feeding network for C-band application," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 8, 1741-1748, 2017. doi:10.1017/S1759078717000435
13. Sahli, R. K. and S. Dwari, "A broadband dual circularly polarized square slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 290-294, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2496118
14. Li, Z., X. Zhu, and C. Yin, "CPW-fed ultra-wideband slot antenna with broadband dual circular polarization," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 98, 191-198, 2019.
15. Ullah, U., I. B. Mabrouk, and S. Koziel, "Enhanced-performance circularly polarized MIMO antenna with polarization/pattern diversity," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 11887-11895, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2966052
16. Jamal, M. Y., M. Li, and K. L. Yeung, "Isolation enhancement of closely packed dual circularly polarized MIMO antenna using hybrid technique," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 11241-11247, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2964902
17. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 162-170, 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2658346
18. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
19. Saxena, S., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Planar four-port dual circularly-polarized MIMO antenna for sub-6 GHz band," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 90779-90791, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2993897
20. Kumar, S., G. H. Lee, D. H. Kim, H. C. Choi, and K. W. Kim, "Dual circularly polarized planar four-port MIMO antenna with wide axial-ratio bandwidth," Sensors (Basel), Vol. 20, No. 19, 2020. doi:10.3390/s20195610