A novel reconfigurable sub-6 GHz microstrip patch antenna operating at three resonant frequencies 3.6, 3.9, and 4.9 GHz is designed for 5G applications. The proposed antenna is constructed from metamaterial (MTM) array with a matching circuit printed around a printed strip line. The antenna is excited with a coplanar waveguide to achieve an excellent matching over a wide frequency band. The proposed antenna shows excellent performance in terms of S11, gain, and radiation pattern that are controlled well with two photo resistance. The proposed antenna shows different operating frequencies and radiation patterns after changing the of photo resistance status. The main antenna novelty is achieved by splitting the main lobe that tracks more than one user at same resonant frequency. Nevertheless, the main radiation lobe can be steered to the desired location by controlling the surface current motion using two varactor diodes on a matching circuit.
2. Rappaport, T. S., Y. Xing, O. Kanhere, S. Ju, A. Madanayake, S. Mandal, A. Alkhateeb, and G. C. Trichopoulos, "Wireless communications and applications above 100 GHz: Opportunities and challenges for 6G and beyond," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 78729-78757, 2019.
3. Zhou, L., Y. Jiao, Y. Qi, Z. Weng, and L. Lu, "Wideband ceiling-mount omnidirectional antenna for indoor distributed antenna systems," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 836-839, 2014.
4. Singhal, S. and A. K. Singh, "Modified Star-Star Fractal (MSSF) super-wideband antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 624-630, 2017.
5. Waladi, V., N. Mohammadi, Y. Zehforoosh, A. Habashi, and J. Nourinia, "A novel Modified Star-Triangular Fractal (MSTF) monopole antenna for super-wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 651-654, 2013.
6. Manohar, M., "Miniaturised low-profile super-wideband Koch snow ake fractal monopole slot antenna with improved BW and stabilised radiation pattern," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 13, 1948-1954, 2019.
7. Hussein, M. I., A. Hakam, and M. Ouda, "Planar ultra-wideband elliptical antenna for communication applications," Proceedings of the 2016 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, 1-5, Doha, Qatar, April 3-6, 2016.
8. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, and W. Wang, "Elliptical planar monopole antenna with extremely wide bandwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 441-442, 2006.
9. Yan, X.-R., S.-S. Zhong, and X.-L. Liang, "Compact printed semi-elliptical monopole antenna for super-wideband applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 2061-2063, 2007.
10. Manohar, M., U. K. Nemani, R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "A novel super wideband notched printed trapezoidal monopole antenna with triangular tapered feedline," Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (SPCOM), 1-6, Bangalore, India, July 22-25, 2014.
11. Manohar, M., R. S. Kshetrimayum, and A. K. Gogoi, "A compact dual band-notched circular ring printed monopole antenna for super wideband applications," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, 64-70, 2017.
12. Dong, Y., W. Hong, L. Liu, Y. Zhang, and Z. Kuai, "Performance analysis of a printed super-wideband antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 949-956, 2009.
13. Wang, Z., Y. Dong, and T. Itoh, "Transmission line metamaterial-inspired circularly polarized RFID antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, 964-968, 2020.
14. Cao, W., W. Ma, W. Peng, and Z. N. Chen, "Bandwidth-enhanced electrically large microstrip antenna loaded with SRR structures," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, 576-580, 2019.
15. Xu, L. and Y. J. Zhou, "Low profile high-gain antenna for broadband indoor distributed antenna system," Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. J. (ACES), Vol. 35, 791-796, 2020.
16. Xu, H.-X., G.-M.Wang, J.-G. Liang, M. Q. Qi, and X. Gao, "Compact circularly polarized antennas combining meta-surfaces and strong space-filling meta-resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, 3442-3450, 2013.
17. Abdulsattar, R. K., T. A. Elwi, and Z. A. Abdul Hassain, "A new microwave sensor based on the moore fractal structure to detect water content in crude oil," Sensors, Vol. 21, 7143, MDPI, 2021.
18. Alaukally, M. N. N., T. A. Elwi, and D. C. Atilla, "Miniaturized flexible metamaterial antenna of circularly polarized high gain-bandwidth product for radio frequency energy harvesting," Int. J. Commun. Syst., 2021.
19. Ali, D., T. A. Elwi, and S. Ozbay, "Metamaterial-based printed circuit antenna for biomedical applications," European Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 26, 12-15, 2021.
20., , www.cst.com.
21., , www.ansoft.com.