A compact size UWB circularly polarized (CP) dual-port MIMO antenna is designed for Ku/K band applications. The proposed antenna contains a revised circle-shaped slot from the radiation patch on the front-side and a stepped-feed line on the back-side of the substrate. The orthogonal position of the antenna ports allows us to produce isolation of more than 30dB and has a (-10 dB) impedance bandwidth of 68% (14.3-29.3 GHz) at two resonant frequencies 15.6 GHz and 24.7 GHz respectively. 3 dB ARBW in the operating bands is 14.6% and 6.7%, respectively. The total size of the MIMO antenna is is 0.1λ × 0.05λ × 0.003λ mm3 at a lower frequency. Diversity characteristics like ECC, DG, TARC & CCL are determined to confirm the MIMO antenna's work qualities. Ringing resonating frequencies are observed at lower operating bands and are responsible for gain degradation. The proposed antenna has excellent characteristics for satellite and NASA's Tracking Data Relay Satellite application.
Aditya Kumar Singh,
Ram Suchit Yadav,
"Ringing Phenomenon-Based Circularly Polarized MIMO Antenna for Ku/k
Band Communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 124, 111-124, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22073006
1. Liang, C., R. Su, P. Gao, and P. Wang, "Compact printed MIMO antenna with 6.1 GHz notched band for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 76, 77-83, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18010907
2. Biswal, S. P. and S. Das, "A compact printed ultra-wideband multiple-input multiple-output prototype with band-notch ability for WiMAX, LTEband43, and WLAN systems," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 6, e21673, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21673
3. Nouri, M. and S. A. Aghdam, "Reconfigurable UWB antenna with electrically control for triple on-demand rejection bandwidth," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1894-1897, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29213
4. Srivastava, K., S. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and S. Dwari, "Design and packaging of ultra-wideband multiple-input-multiple-output/diversity antenna for wireless applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 10, e22357, 2020. doi:10.1002/mmce.22357
5. Gill, H. S., S. S., M. Singh, and G. Kaur, "Design of single-band MIMO antenna for Ku-band applications," 2019 International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (UPCON), 1-5, IEEE, 2019.
6. Khan, M. S., A. Iftikhar, R. M. Shubair, A. D. Capobianco, B. D. Braaten, and D. E. Anagnostou, "A four element, planar, compact UWB MIMO antenna with WLAN band rejection capabilities," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 10, 3124-3131, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32427
7. Zhao, X., S. Riaz, and S. Geng, "A reconfigurable MIMO/UWB MIMO antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 46739-46747, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2909810
8. Liu, Li, S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2263277
9. Khan, M. I., M. I. Khattak, S. Ur Rahman, A. B. Qazi, A. A. Telba, and A. Sebak, "Design and investigation of modern UWB-MIMO antenna with optimized isolation," Micromachines, Vol. 11, No. 4, 432, 2020. doi:10.3390/mi11040432
10. Saini, R. K. and S. Dwari, "A broadband dual circularly polarized square slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 290-294, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2496118
11. Sahu, N. K., G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "L-shaped dielectric resonator based circularly polarized multi-input-multi-output (MIMO) antenna for wireless local area network (WLAN) applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 9, e21426, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21426
12. Sharma, A., G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design and analysis of tri-band dual-port dielectric resonator based hybrid antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 6, 986-992, 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0822
13. Le, T. T. and T.-Y. Yun, "A quad-band dual-sense circularly-polarized square-ring antenna for multi-functional wireless applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 149634-149640, 2019. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2947094
14. Song, H., Z. Liu, and Z. Yan, "Design of a circular polarized Ku/K-band feed system for re ector antenna," 2020 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1-3, IEEE, 2020.
15. Singh, A. K., A. Pandey, S. Singh, V. Yadav, and R. Singh, "Quad-port circularly polarized MIMO antenna for K band applications," 2021 6th International Conference on Communication and Electronics Systems (ICCES), 405-410, IEEE, 2021. doi:10.1109/ICCES51350.2021.9488976
16. Krishna, Ch M., M. S. Prapoorna, K. T. S. Sai, and M. S. Teja, "Super wideband 1 × 2 MIMO antenna for advanced wireless communication," Advances in Electrical and Computer Technologies, 509-519, Springer, Singapore, 2021.
17. Singh, A. K., A. K. Dwivedi, C. Jha, S. Singh, V. Singh, and R. S. Yadav, "A compact MIMO antenna for 5G NR frequency bands n257/n258/n261 under millimeter-wave communication," IETE Journal of Research, 2022.
18. Ahmed, B. T. and I. F. Rodríguez, "Compact high isolation UWB MIMO antennas," Wireless Networks, Vol. 28, No. 5, 1977-1999, 2022. doi:10.1007/s11276-022-02951-9
19. Suresh, A. C. and T. S. Reddy, "A flower shaped miniaturized 4 × 4 MIMO antenna for UWB applications using characteristic mode analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 119, 219-233, 2022. doi:10.2528/PIERC22020202
20. Lin, G.-S., C.-H. Sung, J.-L. Chen, L.-S. Chen, and M.-P. Houng, "Isolation improvement in UWB MIMO antenna system using carbon black film," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 222-225, 2016.
21. Iqbal, A., O. A. Saraereh, A. W. Ahmad, and S. Bashir, "Mutual coupling reduction using F-shaped stubs in UWB-MIMO antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 2755-2759, 2017.
22. Saxena, G., P. Jain, and Y. K. Awasthi, "High diversity gain super-wideband single band-notch MIMO antenna for multiple wireless applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 14, No. 1, 109-119, 2020. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0450
23. Bhatia, S. S. and N. Sharma, "Modified spokes wheel shaped MIMO antenna system for multiband and future 5G applications: Design and measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 117, 261-276, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21111102
24. Biswal, S. P. and S. Das, "A lowprofile dual port UWB-MIMO/diversity antenna with band rejection ability," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided. Eng., Vol. e21159, 2017.
25. Singh, A. K., S. Singh, A. Pandey, S. Singh, and R. Singh, "A compact wideband patch antenna with defected ground for satellite communication," Information and Communication Technology for Competitive Strategies (ICTCS 2020), 513-521, Springer, Singapore, 2021.
26. Singh, A. K., S. K. Mahto, and R. Sinha, "Compact super-wideband MIMO antenna with improved isolation for wireless communications," Frequenz, Vol. 75, No. 9-10, 407-417, 2021. doi:10.1515/freq-2020-0213
27. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 9, 705-707, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030495
28. Dwivedi, A. K., A. Sharma, A. K. Singh, and V. Singh, "Quad-port ring dielectric resonator based MIMO radiator with polarization and space diversity," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2316-2327, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32329
29. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Design and packaging of an eye-shaped multiple-input-multiple-output antenna with high isolation for wireless UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, No. 4, 635-642, 2018. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2018.2806562
30. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Multiport characteristics of a wide-band cavity backed annular patch antenna for multipolarization operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 466-474, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.838794
31. Addepalli, T. B. and V. R. Anitha, "Design and parametric analysis of hexagonal shaped MIMO patch antenna for S-band, WLAN, UWB and X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 227-240, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19101004
32. Chatterjee, A., M. Midya, L. P. Mishra, and M. Mitra, "Dual-element multiple-input-multiple-output system for sub-6 GHz (5G) and WLAN applications with enhanced isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 103, 197-207, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21051005
33. Baek, J. G. and K. C. Hwang, "Triple-band unidirectional circularly polarized hexagonal slot antenna with multiple L-shaped slits," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4831-4835, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2265216
34. Ta, S. X., I. Park, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole on an HIS for 2.4/5.2/5.8-GHz WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1464-1467, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2288787