In this work, CPW-to-stripline (SL) vertical via transitions using gradually stepped vias and embedded air cavities are presented for V-band LTCC System-on-Package (SoP) applications. In order to reduce radiation loss due to abrupt via discontinuities, gradual via transitions are proposed and investigated. In addition, in order to reduce increased parasitic shunt capacitance due to stepped via structures, air cavities are embedded below the transition vias. Using a 3-D EM simulation tool, the proposed transitions are designed and analyzed, compared to the conventional transition. Three-segment transmission lines (CPW-SL-CPW) in 7-layer LTCC dielectrics were fabricated and measured. The two stepped via (STV2) transition embedding air cavities shows an insertion and return losses of 1.6 dB and below -10 dB, respectively, over 60 GHz. The transition loss per one STV2 transition is 0.7 dB at 60 GHz.
2. Lee, Y. C., W.-I. Chang, and C. S. Park, "Monolithic LTCC SiP transmitter for 60GHZ wireless communication terminals," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, June 2005.
3. Ohata, K., K. Maruhashi, M. Ito, S. Kishimoto, K. Ikuina, T. Hashiguchi, K. Ikeda, and N. Takahashi, "1.25 Gbps wireless gigabit ethernet link at 60 GHz-band," IEEE MTT-S In. Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, No. 1, 373-376, June 2003.
4. Lee, J.-H., N. Kidera, G. DeJean, S. Pinel, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A V-band front-end with 3-D integrated cavity filters/duplexers and antenna in LTCC technologies," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 7, 2925-2936, 2006.
5. Panther, A., C. Glaser, M. G. Stubbs, and J. S. Wight, "Vertical transitions in low temperature co-fired ceramics for LMDS applications," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1907-1910, 2001.
6. Lei, S., Y. X. Guo, and L. C. Ong, "CPW to stripline transitions in LTCC for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceedings, 2005.
7. Schmuckle, F. J., A. Jentzch, W. Heinrich, J. Butz, and M. Spinnler, "LTCC as MCM substrate: design of strip-line structures and flip-chip interconnections," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1093-1096, 2001.
8. Yang, T.-H., C.-F. Chen, T.-Y. Huang, C.-L. Wang, and R.-B. Wu, "A 60 GHz LTCC transition between microstrip line and substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC) Proceedings, 2005.
9. Heyen, J., A. Gordiyenko, P. Heide, and A. F. Jacob, "Vertical feedthroughs for millimeter-wave LTCC modules," 33rd European Microwave Conference Proceedings, 411-414, 2003.
10. CST MICROWAVE STUDIO , CST Inc., [Online] Available: http://www.cst.com.