In this paper, full-wave analysis of a microstrip-ring resonator capacitively coupled to Microstrip transmission line is presented. The method of the analysis is based on spectral domain in rectangular coordinate system. Since this coordinate system is not compatible with ring structure, triangular basis functions have been utilized for the current distributions on the ring surface. Applying Galerkin's method in spectral domain, the resonant frequencies of the structure and current distributions on the conductors are calculated and the effects of various parameters are studied. To verify the method of analysis, our results are compared with others and the accuracy of the method has been confirmed.
2. Wolff, I. and N. Koppik, "Microstrip ring resonator and dispersion measurement on microstrip lines," Electron Lett., Vol. 7, No. 26, 779-781, Dec. 1971.
3. Edwards, C., "Microstrip measurements," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 338-341, Dallas, TX,1982.
4. Bernard, P. A. and J. M. Gautray., "Measurement of dielectric constant using a microstrip ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 592-595, 1991.
5. Stephenson, I. M. and B. Easter, "Resonant techniques for establishing the equivalent circuits of small discontinuities in microstrip," Electron Lett., No. 7, 582-584, 1971.
6. Hoefer, W. J. R. and A. Chattopadhyay, "Evaluation of the equivalent circuit parameters of microstrip discontinuities through perturbation of a resonant ring," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 23, 1067-1071, 1975.
7. Sarabandi, K. and E. S. Li, "Microstrip ring resonator for soil moisture measurements," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 5, 1997.
8. Wu, Q. S, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Bandpass filter using microstrip ring resonators," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 1, 62-64, 2003.
9. Jovanovic, S. and A. Nesic, "Microstrip bandpass filter with new type of capacitive coupled resonator," Electronic Letters, Vol. 41, No. 1, 12-13, 2005.
10. Prabhu, S. and J. S. Mandeep, "Microstrip bandpass filter at S-band using capacitive coupled resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 223-228, 2007.
11. Bhasin, K. B., C. M. Chorey, J. D. Warner, R. R. Romanofsky, V. O. Heinen, K. S. Kong, H. Y. Lee, and T. Itoh, "Performance and modeling of superconducting ring resonators at millimeterwave frequencies," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, Part 1, 269-272, Dallas, TX, 1990.
12. Miranda, A., F. W. van Keuls, R. R. Romanofsky, and G. Subramanyam, "Tunable microwave components for Ku and Kband satellite communications," Proc 10th Int. Symp. Integrated Ferroelectron, Vol. 22, Part 2, 269-278, Monterey, CA, 1998.
13. Allen, C. A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Dual-mode composite-right/left-handed transmission line ring resonator," Electron Lett., Vol. 42, 2006.
14. Lee, S. W., Y. Kuga, and A. Ishimaru, "Quasi-static analysis of metamaterials with small tunable stacked split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 219-229, 2005.
15. Sharma, A. K. and B. Bhat, "Spectral domain analysis of microstrip ring resonators," AEU, Vol. 33, 130-132, 1979.
16. Ali, S., W. C. Chew, and J. A. Kong, "Vector hankel transform analysis of annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 4, July 1982.
17. Semouchkina, E., W. Cao, R. Mittra, and W. Yu, "Analysis of resonance processes in microstrip ring resonators by the FDTD method," Microw. and Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 5, 2001.
18. Semouchkina, E., W. Cao, and R. Mittra, "Modeling of microwave ring resonator using the finite-difference-time-domain (FDTD) method," Microw. and Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 6, 2000.
19. Yu, C. C. and K. Chang, "Transmission-line analysis of a capacitively coupled microstrip-ring resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 11, 1997.
20. Itoh, T., Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-Wave Passive Structures, Wiley, New York, 1989.
21. Itoh, T., "Spectral domain immitance approach for dispersion characteristics of generalized printed transmission lines ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 8, No. 7, 733-736, 1980.
22. Tran, A. M., B. Houshmand, and T. Itoh, "Analysis of electromagnetic coupling through a thick aperture in multilayer planar circuits using the extended spectral domain approach and finite difference time-domain method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 9, 1995.
23. Wu, S. C., H. Y. Yang, N. G. Alexopoulos, and I.Wolf, "A rigorous dispersive characteristization of microstrip cross and T junction," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Thech., Vol. 38, No. 12, 1990.