This paper reports the miniaturization of a microstrip 90 degree coupler by substituting the quarter wave transmission lines employed in conventional 90 degree coupler with its equal circuits consisting of two oblique stubs and an inductor and capacitors. Reduction of the coupler to 27% its size is reported here. This coupler is designed at 1070MHz for using in even harmonic mixers of 3G mobile receivers. Furthermore, the coupler can accurately divide the input signal by two parts with the same power and 90 degree phase difference. Also, the reflection coefficient and the isolation are as good as conventional one and coupling procedure is better than it.
2. Sun, K. O., S. J. Ho, C. C. Yen, and D. V. D. Weide, "A compact branch-line coupler using discontinuous microstrip lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 8, August 2005.
3. Wang, J., B. Z. Wang, Y, X, Guo, L. C. Ong, and S. Xiao, "A compact slow-wave microstrip branch-line coupler with high performance," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 7, July 2007.
4. Liao, S. S., P. T. Sun, N. C. Chin, and J. T. Peng, "A novel compact-size branch-line coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 9, September 2005.
5. Liao, S. S. and J. T. Peng, "Compact planar microstrip branchline couplers using the quasi-lumped elements approach with nonsymmetrical and symmetrical T-shaped structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 9, September 2006.
6. Eccleston, K. W. and S. H. M. Ong, "Compact planar microstripline microstripline branch-line and rat-race couplers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 10, October 2003.
7. Tang, C. W., M. G. Chen, and J. W. Wu, "Realization of ultra-compact planar microstrip branch-line couplers with highimpedance open stubs," IEEE, 2007.
8. Zhang, S. Z., A. Tokunou, and I. Sakagami, "Reduced branchline coupler with two-step stubs-Part I: Modified coupler and frequency responses," IEEE Microwave Conference Asia Pacific, December 2000.
9. Tang, C. W. and M. G. Chen, "Synthesizing microstrip branchline couplers with predetermined compact size and bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 9, September 2007.
10. Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), "UE radio transmission and reception (FDD)," Technical Specification 25.101, Vol. 3.0.0, October 1999.