This paper presents the result for antenna factor of microstrip patch antenna when used as electromagnetic interference (EMI) sensor. Antenna factor is an important parameter of a sensor used for EMI measurements. The microstrip antenna has found wide application as transmit and receive antenna in modern microwave systems. In this paper, a new application of microstrip antenna as EMI sensor is presented. The result for antenna factor versus frequency of a microstrip patch antenna is presented using commercial software CST Microwave Studio. Also the experimental results for a prototype antenna are presented and compared with the simulated result.
2. Ghosh, S., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Sanyal, "Estimation of antenna factor of wire antenna as EMI sensor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 1, 2002.
3. Ghosh, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Performance analysis of EMI sensor in different test sites with different wave impedances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 127-142, 2006.
4. Ghosh, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Estimation of equivalent circuit of loaded trans-receive antenna system and its time domain studies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 89-103, 2006.
5. Ali, M. and S. Sanyal, "FDTD analysis of dipole antenna as EMI sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 341-359, 2007.
6. Das, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "A novel modeling technique to solve a class of rectangular waveguide based circuits and radiators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 231-252, 2006.
7. Bhattacharya, A., S. Gupta, and A. Chakraborty, "Analysis of rectangular waveguides and thick windows as EMI sensors," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 22, 231-258, 1999.
8. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, January 1992.
9. Kanda, M., "A microstrip patch antenna as a standard transmitting and receiving antenna," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 32, No. 1, 5-8, February February 1990.
10. Bernardi, P. and R. Cicchetti, "Response of a planar microstrip line excited by an external electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 32, No. 2, 98-105, May 1990.
11. Bernardi, P., R. Cicchetti, and D. S. Moreolo, "A full-wave model for EMI prediction in planar microstrip circuits excited in the near field of a short electric dipole," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 37, No. 2, 175-182, May 1995.
12. Cooray, F. R. and J. S. Kot, "Analysis of radiation from a cylindrical-rectangular microstrip patch antenna loaded with a superstrate and an air gap, using the electric surface current model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 135-152, 2007.
13. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 1992.
14. CST Microwave Studio, version 5 manual,.
15. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
16. Ang, B. K. and B. K. Chung, "A wideband E-shaped microstrip patch antenna for 5–6 GHz wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 397-407, 2007.
17. Abdelaziz, A., "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006.
18. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "A simple broadband printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 119-130, 2006.
19. Abbaspour, M. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband star-shaped microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 61-68, 2008.