In this paper, the Contiguous Partition Method (CPM) is applied to the optimization of the directivity of difference patterns in monopulse planar array antennas. Since the excitations providing maximum directivity of planar arrays can be analytically computed and because of the excitation matching nature of the CPM, the problem at hand is recast as the synthesis of the difference compromise solution close as much as possible to the reference pattern with maximum directivity. Selected results are shown to point out the potentialities of the CPM-based approach.
2. Song, M. Z. and T. Hong, "Sum and difference multiple beam modulation transmitted by multimode horn antenna for inverse monopulse direction-finding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 367-380, 2008.
3. Singh, A. K., P. Kumar, T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, and S. Bhooshan, "“A novel digital beamformer with low angle resolution for vehicle tracking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 229-237, 2006.
4. McNamara, D. A., "Synthesis of sub-arrayed monopulse linear arrays through matching of independently optimum sum and difference excitations," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 135, No. 5, 371-374, 1988.
5. Ares, F., J. A. Rodriguez, E. Moreno, and S. R. Rengarajan, "Optimal compromise among sum and difference patterns," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1543-1555, 1996.
6. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "Optimization of the difference patterns for monopulse antennas by a hybrid real/integer-coded differential evolution method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 372-376, 2005.
7. Lopez, P., J. A. Rodriguez, F. Aares, and E. Moreno, "Subarray weighting for difference patterns of monopulse antennas: Joint optimization of subarray configurations and weights," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 11, 1606-1608, 2001.
8. D’Urso, M., T. Isernia, and E. F. Meliado, "An effective hybrid approach for the optimal synthesis of monopulse antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1059-1066, 2007.
9. Rocca, P., L. Manica, and A. Massa, "An effective excitation matching method for the synthesis of optimal compromises between sum and difference patterns in planar arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 115-130, 2008.
10. Hosseini, S. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Optimization of side lobe level and fixing quasi-nulls in both of the sum and difference patterns by using continuous ant colony optimization (ACO) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 321-337, 2008.
11. Massa, A., M. Pastorino, and A. Randazzo, "Optimization of the directivity of a monopulse antenna with a subarray weighting by a hybrid differential evolution method," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 5, 155-158, 2006.
12. Hannan, P. W., "Maximum gain in monopulse difference mode," Trans. IRE Antennas Propagat., Vol. 9, No. 3, 314-331, 1961.
13. Manica, L., P. Rocca, A. Martini, and A. Massa, "An innovative approach based on a tree-searching algorithm for the optimal matching of independently optimum sum and difference excitations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 1, 58-66, 2008.
14. McNamara, D. A., "Excitations providing maximum directivity for difference arrays of discrete elements," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, No. 16, 780-781, 1987.
15. Cheng, D. K., "Optimization techniques for antenna array," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 59, No. 12, 1664-1674, 1971.
16. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory and Design, Wiley-Interscience IEEE Press, 2003.