A new antenna structure comprising a semicircular microstrip patch alongside a small rectangular shape ground proximity fed by a microstrip line is proposed. On a thin substrate this antenna achieves in the range of 5.8-12.9 GHz an impedance bandwidth of almost 75%. Details of the antenna design, simulation and measured results on the return loss and the E and H-plane radiation pattern of the proposed antenna are presented.
2. Wong, K. L. and Y. F. Lin, "Small broadband rectangular microstrip antenna with chip-resistor loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 1593-1594, 1997.
3. Yang, F., X.-X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, July 2001.
4. Weigand, S., G. H. Huff, K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernard, "Analysis and design of broadband single layer U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, March 2003.
5. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra wideband microstrip-fed tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 59-69, 2006.
6. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Rectangular slot antenna with patch stub for ultra wideband applications and phased array systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 227-237, 2005.
7. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpour-Aghdam, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Complete dispersion analysis of vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007.
8. Row, J. S. and S. H. Chen, "Wideband monopolar square ring patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1335-1339, April 2006.
9. Joardar, S. and A. B. Bhattacharya, "Two new ultra wideband dual polarized antenna-feeds using planar log periodic antenna and innovative frequency independent reflectors," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1465-1479, 2006.
10. Chen, X. and K. Huang, "Wideband properties of fractal bowtie dipoles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1511-1518, 2006.
11. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K. F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW FED ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
12. Sze, J.-Y. and K.-L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip line fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1020-1024, July 2001.