The phase noise is a very important index to wireless system, especially in millimeter-wave continuous wave radar systems. The phase noise of the signal, which is firstly leaked from transmitter and then mixed to intermediate frequency band by the local oscillator (Tx-IF), will worsen the sensitivity of supper heterodyne radar system used for Doppler velocity detection. In this paper, the coherent analysis is applied on the phase noise after nonlinear process, which shows that the phase noise of the Tx-IF is affected by those factors: the magnitude of the phase noise of the transmitter and that of the local oscillator, and the correlationship between each other. In practice, by reducing the phase noise of the transmitter and that of the local oscillator and ameliorating the correlationship of the two phase noises, the phase noise of the Tx-IF can be improved greatly. Such proposition is successfully applied in the design of a millimeter-wave Doppler radar working at 95 GHz. The experimental measurement shows that the sensitivity of this radar is better than -70 dBm.
1. Mead, J. B. and R. E. McIntosh, "Millimeter-wave polarimetric radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 03, 391-450, 1990.
2. Costanzo, S., I. Venneri, G. Di Massa, and G. Amendola, "Hybrid array antenna for broadband millimeter-wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 173-183, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08051404
3. Ma, H. H., X. H. Tang, F. Xiao, and X. J. Zhang, "Phase noise analysis and estimate of millimeter wave PLL frequency synthesizer," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 2, 271-278, Feb. 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-3005-1
4. Zhang, Y. H., Y. Fan, and Z. D. Wu, "Phase noise in millimeter wave phase-locked loop with mixer," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 28, 299-304, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1007/s10762-007-9203-2
5. Grebenkemper, C. J., "Local oscillator phase noise and its effect on receiver performance," WJ Tech. Notes 1981, 1-13, 1981.
6. Razavi, B., "A study of phase noise in CMOS oscillators," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 31, No. 3, 331-343, 1996. doi:10.1109/4.494195
7. Raven, R. S., "Requirements on master oscillators for coherent radar," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 54, No. 2, 237-243, Feb. 1966. doi:10.1109/PROC.1966.4636
8. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 594-595, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2003.
9. Taylor, J. R., An Introduction to Error Analysis: The Study of Uncertainties in Physical Measurements, 290-291, University Science Books, 1997.
10. Jaisingh, L. R., Statistics for the Utterly Confused, 104-107, McGraw-Hill Professional, 2006.
11. Leeson, D. B., "A simple model of feedback oscillator noise spectrum," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 54, 329-330, Feb. 1966. doi:10.1109/PROC.1966.4682
12. Hajimiri, A. and T. H. Lee, "A general theory of phase noise in electrical oscillators," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, 179-194, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/4.658619
13. Lee, T. H. and A. Hajimiri, "Oscillator phase noise: A tutorial," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, 326-336, Mar. 2000. doi:10.1109/4.826814
14. Demir, A., A. Mehrotra, and J. Roychowdhury, "Phase noise in oscillators: A unifying theory and numerical methods for characterization," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. I47, 655-674, May 2000.
15. Vanassche, P., G. Gielen, and E. Sansen, "Efficient analysis of slow-varying oscillator dynamics," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., Vol. I51, 1457-1467, Aug. 2004.