An ultra-wideband exponential tapered slot antenna with new geometrical gratings, which is fed by a nonuniform CPW-slotline balun that is essentially important for the ultra-wide band characteristic, has been introduced in this paper. The measurement shows that the frequency band is from 1.7 GHz to over 13 GHz, among which the VSWR is below -10 dB except 1.7 GHz around (below -9 dB). The gratings are emphasized to make the antenna to perform better radiation characteristics of a comparatively stable, symmetrical pattern and low side lobes through the operating band as well as obviously higher gain and sharper beam width in the low frequency section in comparison with the one without gratings (more than 3 dB at 1.7 GHz).
1. Win, M. Z. and R. A. Scholtz, "Ultra-wide bandwidth (UWB) time-hopping spread-spectrum impulse radio for wireless multiple access communications," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 48, No. 4, 679-689, Apr. 2000. doi:10.1109/26.843135
2. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, and J. Wang, "Study on an UWB planar tapered slot antenna with gratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 1, 87-93, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08011505
3. Elsadek, H. and D. M. Nashaat, "Ultra miniaturized Eshaped PIFA on cheap foam and FR4 substrates," J. of Electromagn.Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 3, 291-300, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701759
4. Khodaei, G. F., J. Nouriniam, and C. Ghobade, "A practical miniaturized U-slot patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 47-62, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112201
5. Shobeyri, M., M. H. Vadjed Samiei, and C. E. Smith, "Compact T ultra-wideband bandpass filter with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 25-31, 2008.
6. Wang, S., L. Guo, X. Chen, C. G. Parini, and J. McCormick, "Design of broadband phased array using tapered slot antenna," IEEE Proceedings of iWAT2008, 271-274, Chiba, Japan, 2008.
7. Lee, K. F. and W. Chen, Advances in Microstrip and Printed Antennas, Wiley, 1997.
8. Zhu, Y.-Z. and P. Li, "A novel ultra broadband planar monopoleantenna for UHF," Chinese Journal of Electron Devices, Vol. 30, No. 2, 804-805, 2007.
9. Ho, C. H., L. Fan, and K. Chang, "New uniplanar coplanar waveguide hybrid-ring couplers and magic-Ts," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 12, 2440-2448, Dec. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.339779
10. Yngvesson, K. S., D. H. Schaubert, T. L. Korzeniowski, E. L. Kollberg, T. Thungren, and J. F. Johansson, "Endfire tapered slot antennas on dielectric substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennaa and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1392-1400, Dec. 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143542
11. Oraizi, H., "Optimum design of tapered slot antenna profile," IEEE Tansactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1987-1995, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811090
12. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "A MM-wave tapered slot antenna with improved radiation pattern," 1997 IEEE MTT-S IMS Dig., 959-962, Denver, 1997.
13. Chen, N. W., C. T. Chuang, and J. W. Shi, "A W-band linear tapered slot antenna on rectangular-grooved silicon substrate," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Progation Letter, Vol. 6, 90-92, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.893067
14. Janaswamy, R. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of the tapered slotantennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 9, 1058-1065, Sep. 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144218