Usually, an effective permittivity can be used to describe the molecular polarization of the mixture in the reaction and consequently be used to calculate the transmission and absorption of microwave in the reactant mixtures. In this paper, we propose a method to calculate the effective permittivity of chemical reaction in solution by means of the experimental results. To verify this method, the acetone iodations reaction is employed. The calculated results of complex effective permittivity of the mixtures are in good agreement with the measured results.
"A Method for Calculating the Effective Permittivity of a Mixture
Solution During a Chemical Reaction by Experimental Results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,
Vol. 5, 99-107, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08110403
1. Jin, Q., S. Dai, and K. M. Huang, Microwave Chemistry, Science Press, Beijing, 1999.
2. Moradi, G. and A. Abdipour, "Measuring the permittivity of dielectric materials using STDR approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 357-365, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080201
3. Chen, M., J. W. Hellgeth, E. J. Siochi, T. C. Ward, and J. E. Mcgrath, "The microwave process ability of semicrystalline polymers," Polymer Engineering and Science, Vol. 33, No. 17, 1122, 1993. doi:10.1002/pen.760331705
4. Zhang, H. and A. K. Datta, "Coupled electromagnetic and thermal modeling of microwave oven heating of foods," Journal of Microwave Power & Electromagnetic Energy, Vol. 35, No. 2, 71-86, 2000.
5. Sihvola, A., Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, London, 1999.
6. Bottcher, C. J. F. and P. B. Ordewijk, Theory of Electric Polarization, Elsevier Scientific Publishing Company, New York, 1978.
7. Sirovich, L., Introduction to Applied Mathematics, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1988.
8. Thon, N., Tables of Chemical Kinetics, Homogeneous Reactions, NBS Circular 510, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1951.
9. Huang, K. M., X. J. Cao, C. J. Liu, and X. B. Xu, "Measurement/computation of effective permittivity of dilute solution in saponification reaction," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2106-2111, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.817454
10. Daniels, F., R. A. Alberty, J. W. Williams, C. D. Cornwell, P. Bender, and J. E. Harriman, Experimental Physical Chemistry, 7th edition, Mcgraw-Hill, Inc., New York, 1975.