The analytical expression of scattering field from a conductor elliptic cylinder is presented, as the electromagnetic wave propagating vertical to the axis of an elliptic cylinder with arbitrary incident angle and polarization. The obtained result is in agreement with that in the reference when we use this analytical expression to calculate the scattering field from a cylinder. Simulations show that the vertical size of the elliptic cylinder effects greatly the scattering field when we observing it in the direction perpendicular to the direction of the incident wave. The scattering field is strong as the polarization direction of incident wave parallel to the axis of the elliptic cylinder. The algorithm used in the article is valid to investigate the scattering characteristic of other elliptic cylinders. The obtained result offers a theoretical foundation for the practical applications such as electromagnetic remote sensing of target's size and shape.
1. Hamid, A.-K., "Multi-dielectric loaded axially slotted antenna on circular or elliptic cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1259-1271, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442980
2. Rayleigh, L., "On the electromagnetic theory of light," Philos. Mag., Vol. 12, 81-101, 1881.
3. Jiang, H., X. Han, and R. Li, "Improved algorithm of electromagnetic scattering by a multilayered cylinder of infinite length for normal incidence and its application," Acta Optica Sinica, Vol. 27, No. 2, 264-271, 2007 (in Chinese).
4. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley-Interscience, New York.
5. Kerker, M., The Scattering of Light and Other Electromagnetic Radiation, Academic Press, New York, 1969.
6. Bohren, C. F. and D. R. Huffman, Absorbing and Scattering of Light by Small Particles, Wiley, New York, 1983.
7. Wu, Z., L. Guo, and S. Cui, "Internal and externalelect romagnetic fields for multilayered cylinder at normal incidence," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 23, No. 6, 114-116, 1995 (in Chinese).
8. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering from two eccentric metamaterial cylinders with frequency-dependent permittivities differing slightly each other," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 23-34, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112906
9. Hady, L. K. and A. A. Kishk, "Electromagnetic scattering from conducting circular cylinder coated by metamaterial and loaded with helical strips under oblique incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 189-206, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121107
10. Kozaki, S., "Scattering of a Gaussian beam by a homogeneous dielectric cylinder," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 53, No. 11, 7195-7200, 1982. doi:10.1063/1.331615
11. Mees, L., et al., "Scattering of a Gaussian beam by an infinite cylinder with arbitrary location and arbitrary orientation: Numerical results," Appl. Opt., Vol. 38, No. 9, 1867-1876, 1999. doi:10.1364/AO.38.001867
12. BarabAs, M., "Scattering of a plane wave by a radially stratified tilted cylinder," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 4, No. 12, 2240-2248, 1987. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.4.002240
13. Bussey, H. E. and J. H. Richmond, "Scattering by a lossy dielectric circular cylindrical multilayer, numerical values," IEEE Trans. on Antennas & Propag., Vol. 23, No. 5, 723-725, 1975. doi:10.1109/TAP.1975.1141146
14. Li, Y. and J. Huang, "The scale-transformation of electromagnetic theory and its applications," Chinese Physics, Vol. 14, No. 4, 646-656, 2005. doi:10.1088/1009-1963/14/4/002
15. Li, Y. and J. Huang, Scales Transformation Theory of Electromagnetic Field and Its Applications, Press of Xidian University, Xian, 2006.
16. Wang, Y. and D. Chen, Engineering Electrodynamics, Press of Xidian University, Xian, 1985.
17. Ishimaru, A., "Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Medium," Part I, 27-30, Academic Press, 1978.