In this letter, an easy concept to eliminate the simultaneous switching noise (SSN) in multilayer board is proposed. Use of the low impedance element provides a short path to lead noise to ground, called virtual shield. This method could effectively suppress the first mode of the parallel resonance, and the wider-band suppression could be obtained by array short via. It is also proved that the virtual shield concept has to be placed as the excited source at the same layer.
1. Chen, R. L., C. Ji, T. H. Hubing, and S. Weimin, "Analytical model for the rectangular power-ground structure including radiation loss ," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 47, No. 1, 10-16, 2005. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.842204
2. Chen, J., T. H. Hubing, T. P. V. Doren, and R. E. DuBroff, "Power bus isolation using power islands in printed circuit boards," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 44, No. 2, 373-380, 2002. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2002.1003403
3. Wan, L., P. M. Raj, D. Balaraman, P. Muthana, S. K. Bhattacharya, M. Varadarajan, I. R. Abothu, M. Swaminathan, and R. Tummala, "Embedded decoupling capacitor performance in high speedcircuits," Electronic Components and Technology, IEEE ECTC Proceedings, Vol. 2, 1617-1622, 2005.
4. Wu, T. L., S. T. Chen, J. N. Hwang, and Y. H. Lin, "Numerical andexp erimental investigation of radiation caused by the switching noise on the partitioned DC reference planes of high speedd igital PCB," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, No. 1, 33-45, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2004.823680
5. Chang, C. S., D. B. Lin, K. C. Hung, I. T. Tang, and M. P. Houng, "Simultaneous switching noise mitigation capability with low parasitic effect using aperiodic high-impedance surface structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 149-158, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08082902
6. Wounchoum, P., D. Worasawate, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and M. Krairiksh, "A two-slot array antenna on a concentric sectoral cylindrical cavity excited by a coupling slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 135-154, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08091204
7. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Gharakhili, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082901
8. Das, S., A. Chakrabarty, and A. Chakraborty, "Characteristics of an offset longitudinal/transverse slot coupled crossed waveguide junction using multiple cavity modeling technique considering the TE00 mode at the slot aperture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 297-316, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06092701
9. Lee, J., Y. M. Seng, M. K. Iyer, and J. Kim, "Investigation of plane-to-plane noise coupling through cutout in multi-layer power-ground planes," IEEE Electronics Packaging Technology Conference, 257-260, 2002.
10. Leone, M., "The radiation of a rectangular power-bus structure at multiple cavity-mode resonances," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, 486-492, 2003. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2003.815560
11. Wu, C. T., G. H. Shiue, S. M. Lin, and R. B. Wu, "Composite effects of reflections and ground bounce for signal line through a split power plane ," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 25, No. 2, 297-301, 2002. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2002.803263
12. Antonini, G., A. C. Scogna, A. Orlandi, and V. Ricchiuti, "Cross-SSN analysis in multilayer printed circuit boards," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 3, 705-710, 2005.
13. Lee, J., M. D. Rotaru, M. K. Iyer, H. Kim, and J. Kim, "Analysis and suppression of SSN noise coupling between power/ground plane cavities through cutouts in multilayer packages and PCBs," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 28, 298-309, 2005. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2005.846932