This paper presents a numerical and experimental analysis of a horizontally polarized HF antenna?The antenna is aimed to be compact, wideband and high power gain. A V-shape wire-structured pentagonal antenna has acceptable performance in both aspects of gain and VSWR. The V-shape structure yields a comparatively high gain relative to the 27 m radiation arms. By incorporating both ground-loaded guys and convex pentagon-shape arms, the antenna can cover the whole HF band. The measured and simulated results show that the VSWR of this antenna is within 2.55:1 over 3~30 MHz and the average power gain is about 11 dBi.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., 447-450, John Wiley & Sons. Inc, 1997.
3. Shlager, K., G. Smith, and J. Maloney, "Optimization of bowtie antennas for pulse application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 975-982, June 1994.
4. Qu, S. and C. Ruan, "Effect of round corners on bowtie antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 179-195, 2006.
5. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 861-871, 2006.
6. Atteia, G. E., A. A. Shaalan, and K. F. A. Hussein, "Wideband partially-covered bowtie antenna for ground-penetrating-radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 211-226, 2007.
7. Shen, H. M., "V-conical antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, 1519-1525, November 1988.
8. Thiele, G. A. and E. P. Ekelman, "Design formulas for vee dipoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 28, 588-590, July 1980.
9. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J.Nourinia, "A modified microstripfed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007.
10. Ammanna, M. J., "The pentagonal planar monopole for digital mobile terminals; bandwidth considerations and modelling," The 11th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 82-85, April 2001.