A configuration for a miniaturized band-pass filter on a coplanar waveguide (CPW) is proposed in this communication. Parametric studies conducted for various geometrical parameters suggest that the frequency response of the filter is strongly related to that of the spiral slots. But a series gap on the center conductor of the CPW changes the overall response of the device For validation of these concepts, a bandpass filter operating at about 3.5 GHz has been designed, fabricated and tested. Experimental results show good agreement with electromagnetic simulations. The design for a microwave laminate shown here requires an area of approximately 0.1λ0 x 0.1λ0.
2. Su, H. T., F. Huang, and M. J. Lancaster, "Highly miniature HTS microwavefilters," IEEE Trans. Appl. Superconduct., Vol. 11, 349-352, Mar. 2001.
3. Azadegan, R. and K. Sarabandi, "Miniature high-Q double spiral slot-line resonator filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1548-1557, May 2004.
4. Lim, J.-S., C.-S. Kim, Y.-T. Lee, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A spiral-shaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguid," IEEE Microw. & Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 12, 330-332, Sep. 2002.
5. Liao, S.-S., P.-T. Sun, H.-K. Chen, and X.-Y. Liao, "Compact-size coplanar waveguide bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 6, 241-243, 2003.
6. Wang, X.-H., B.-Z. Wang, and K. J. Chen, "Compact broadband dual-band bandpass filters using slotted ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 151-168, 2008.
7. Naghshvarian-Jahroomi, M. and M. Tayarani, "Miniature planar UWB bandpass filters with circular slots in ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 87-93, 2008.
8. Zheng, J., J.-Z. Gu, B. Cul, and X. W. Sun, "Compact and harmonic suppression open-loop resonator bandpass filter with tri-section SIR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 93-100, 2007.
9. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008.
10. Weng, L. H., Y. C. Guo, X. W. Shi, and X. Q. Chen, "An overview on defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 173-189, 2008.
11. Reddy, P. U., "Numerical and experimental studies on bandpass filters using spiral shaped slots on ground traces of coplanar waveguides,", Masters Project Report, Dept. of ECE, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Jun. 2007.
12. Koul, V. and K. J. Vinoy, "Planar slotted ground structures for miniaturization of microwave circuits," URSI General Meeting, Commission C, New Delhi, Oct. 2005.
13. Hamad, E. K. I., A. M. E. Safwat, and A. S. Omar, "Controlled capacitance and inductance behavior of L-shaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguide," IEE Proc. Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 5, 299-304, Oct. 2005 .