An externally modulated NTSC 77-channel erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA)-repeated system employing Fabry-Perot (FP) etalon at the receiving site to improve system performance was proposed and demonstrated. In comparison with conventional externally modulated fiber optical CATV transport systems, good performance of carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR), composite second order (CSO), and composite triple beat (CTB) were achieved for the full channel band over a 100-km single-mode fiber (SMF) transmission. Our proposed systems are suitable for the long-haul fiber optical CATV transport systems.
2. Gebretsadik, H., H. T. Foulk, N. C. Frateschi, W. J. Choi, S. V. Robertson, and A. E. Bond, "Linearised integrated SOA-EA modulator for long-haul and FTTH CATV applications at 1.55 μm," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 1016-1017, 2004.
3. Lee, C. C. and S. Chi, "Repeaterless transmission of 80-channel AM-SCM signals over 100-km large-effective-area dispersion-shifted fiber," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 12, 341-343, 2000.
4. Singh, S. P., R. Gangwar, and N. Singh, "Nonlinear scattering effects in optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 379-405, 2007.
5. Lu, H. H., W. S. Tsai, C. Y. Chen, and H. C. Peng, "CATV/radio-on-fiber transport systems based on EAM and optical SSB modulation technique," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, 2565-2567, 2004.
6. Piehler, D., X. Zou, C. Y. Kuo, A. Nilsson, J. Kleefeld, G. Garcia, J. D. Ralston, and A. Mathur, "55 dB CNR over 50 km of fiber in an 80-channel externally-modulated AM-CATV system without optical amplification," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 226-227, 1997.
7. Ghafoori-Fard, H., M. J. Moghimi, and A. Rostami, "Linear and nonlinear superimposed Bragg grating: a novel proposal for all-optical multi-wavelength filtering and switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 243-266, 2007.
8. Yoon, Y., J. Shim, D. Jang, J. Kim, Y. Eo, and F. Rhee, "Transmission spectra of Fabry-Perot etalon filter for diverged input beams," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, 1315-1317, 2002.
9. Song, D. Y. and J. S. Lee, "Angle-tuned Fabry-Perot etalon filter having Gaussian transmittance curves," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 12, 1186-1188, 2000.
10. Rostami, A. and A. Salmanogli, "Investigation of light amplification in Si-nanocrystal-Er doped optical fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 27-51, 2008.
11. Ovadia, S., Broadband Cable TV Access Networks: Form Technologies to Applications, Prentice-Hall, 2001.
12. Way, W. I., Broadband Hybrid Fiber/Coax Access System Technologies, Academic Press, 1998.