According to the Coarse Wavelength Division Multiplexing (CWDM) wavelength dependent transmission characteristics, a wide range fiber Bragg grating (FBG) demodulation method is proposed and experimentally demonstrated in this paper. The relationship between system input and output is obtained through analysis, and verified experimentally. Particularly the influence of light source power on demodulation precision and calibration value is analyzed. The wavelength demodulation range of the system is about 10 nm, which can realize the measurement of 8000με; The precision can be 3~5 pm. Since the system is compact, low cost and passive, it is able to be integrated as a portable demodulation module.
2. Rao, Y. J., "In-fibre Bragg grating sensor," Measurement Science Technology, Vol. 8, 3552375, 1997.
3. Rizkalla, S. H., A. A. Mufti, and G. Tadros, "Recent innovation for concrete highway bridges in Canada," International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition, Vol. 42, No. 1, 281-287, Anaheim, CA, USA, 1997..
4. Kersey, A. D., T. A. Berkoff, and W. W. Morey, "High resolution fibre grating based strain sensor with interferometric wavelength shift detection," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, 236-238, 1992.
5. Flavin, D. A., R. McBride, and J. D. C. Jones, "Short optical path scan interferometric interrogation of a fibre Bragg grating embedded in a composite," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 4, 319-321, 1997.
6. Melle, S. M., et al., "A Bragg grating-tuned fiber laser strain sensor system," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 2, 263-266, 1993.
7. Geiger, H., M. G. Xu, and J. P. Dakin, "Multiplexed measurements of strain using short and long gauge length sensors," SPIE 1995, Vol. 2507, 25-34, 1995.
8. Davis, M. A. and A. D. Kersey, "All fiber Bragg grating strain-sensor demodulation technique using a wavelength division coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 1, 75-77, 1994.
9. Chung, S., et al., "Afiber Bragg grating sensor demodulation technique using a polarization maintaining fiber loop mirror [J]," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1343-1345, 2001.
10. Zhang, J., H. Zhao, and Y. Xiong, "A FBG sensor demodulation method based on an amplified spontaneous emission light source," Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, Vol. 27, No. 1, 118-121, 2006.
11. Wu, J.-W. and H.-B. Bao, "Amplification, compression and shaping of picosecond super-Gaussian optical pulse using MZISOAs configuration," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2215-2228, 2007.
12. Biswas, A., "Stochastic perturbation of parabolic law optical solutions," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1479-1488, 2007.
13. Rostami, A. and A. Yazdanpanah-Goharrizi, "A new method for classification and identification of complex fiber Bragg grating using the genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 329-356, 2007.
14. Yang, T., S. Song, H. Dong, and R. Ba, "Waveguide structures for generation of terahertz radiation by electro-optical process in GaAs and ZnGeP2 using 1.55 μm fiber laser pulses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 95-102, 2008.