A circulator with a coplanar structure is designed and analysed using a three dimensional finite element method. Based on the proposed design, the circulator is fabricated with a YIG (Yttrium Iron Garnet). The thickness of YIG is only 65 μm. The design is planar and realized by stacking several layers, resulting in a potentially simple and low cost industrial process. Simulated results are better than measured ones but circulation is obtained around 9 GHz. Measured insertion loss is 5 dB and isolation is 36 dB giving interesting perspectives for the device.
1. Bosma, H., "On the principle of stripline circulation," Proc. Inst. Elec. Eng., Vol. 109, No. 21, 137-146, Jan. 1962.
2. Ogasawara, N. and M. Kaji, "Coplanar-guide and slot-guide junction circulators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 7, No. 9, 220-221, May 6, 1971. doi:10.1049/el:19710149
3. Koshiji, K. and E. Shu, "Circulators using coplanar waveguide," Electronics Letters, Vol. 22, No. 19, 1000-1002, Sep. 11, 1986. doi:10.1049/el:19860684
4. Oshiro, K., H. Mikami, S. Fujii, T. Tanaka, H. Fujimori, M. Matsuura, and S. Yamamoto, "Fabrication of circulator with coplanar wave-guide structure," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 41, No. 10, 3550-3552, Oct. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.854729
5. Zahwe, O., B. Sauviac, J. P. Chatelon, A. S. Dehlinger, S. Nemer, M. Leberre, and S. Perrot, Etude d'un circulateur coplanaire dans la bande 8--12 GHz, Proceedings of JNM 2007, Toulouse, France, May 23--25, 2007.
6. Zahwe, O., B. Sauviac, B. A. Samad, J. P. Chatelon, and J. J. Rousseau, "Numerical study of a circulator using yig thin film with a coplanar structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 6, 193-207, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09020302
7. Bosma, H., "On stripline Y-circulation at UHF," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 12, 61-72, Jan. 1964. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1964.1125753
8. How, H., S. A. Oliver, S.W. McKnight, P.M. Zavracky, N. E. McGruer, C. Vittoria, and R. Schmidt, "Theory and experiment of thin-film junction circulator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1645-1653, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.734547
9. Benevent, E., V. Larrey, D. Vincent, and A. S. Dehlinger, Losses' origins in a 40 GHz stripline circulator with 10 μm thick barium hexagonal ferrite films, Microwave Conference, 36th European, 208-211, 2006.