This work presents a planar antenna for Ultra-High-Frequency (UHF) Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Tags to be applied on metallic surfaces. The proposed radiating structure consists of a short-circuited patch antenna designed with a fractal geometry, resulting in a very compact and cost effective Tag. Showing a very good platform tolerance, such a Tag is also suitable for application on different kinds of materials (metal, glass, etc.).
1. Finkenzeller, K., "RFID Handbook: Fundamentals and Applications in Contact-less Smart Cards and Identification," Wiley & Sons, 2003.
2. Edelman, C., et al., "Designing RFID tags using direct antenna matching," Microwave Engineering Europe, 23-26, Dec./Jan, 2005.
3. Rao, K. V. S., et al., "Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3870-3876, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.859919
4. Ukkonen, L., et al., "Patch antenna with EBG ground plane and two-layer substrate for passive RFID of metallic objects," IEEE AP-S Symp., 2004.
5. Cho, C., et al., "Design of a novel RFID tag antenna for metallic objects," IEEE AP-S Symp., 2006.
6. Yu, B., et al., "Balanced RFID tag antenna mountable on metallic plates," IEEE AP-S Symp., 2006.
7. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 80, 79-91, Jan. 1992. doi:10.1109/5.119568
8. Munson, R. E., "Conformal microstrip antennas and microstrip phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 22, 74-78, Jan. 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140723
9. Rambabu, K., M. Ramesh, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Design method for patch antennas short circuited at one end," Asia Pacific Microw. Conf., 233-236, 1997.
10. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1981, Artech House, 2003.
11. Kumar, R., P. Malathi, and J. P. Shinde, Design of miniaturized fractal antenna, 37th Europ. Microw. Conf., 474-477, 2007.