Interaction of an electromagnetic wave and an inhomogenous plasma slab with electron distribution in the form of partially linear and sinusoidal profiles is analysed to determine new reflection, absorbtion and transmission characteristics. Broadband and tunable absorbtion performance of the plasma layer accompanied with narrowband reflection characteristics is presented as the function of electron density profile parameters and external magnetic field excitation. According to the resulting performance characteristics, proposed plasma layer is found to be useful as a new absorbing layer for shielding and stealth applications.
2. Heald, M. A. and C. B. Wharton, Plasma Diagnostics with Microwaves, Krieger, New York, 1978.
3. radov, O. M. and L. Stenflo, "On the parametric transparency of a magnetized plasma slab," Physics Letters, Vol. 83, No. 6, 257-258, 1981.
4. Gradov, O. M. and L. Stenflo, "Anomalous transmission of electromagnetic energy through a plasma slab," Physica Scripta, Vol. 25, 631, 1982.
5. Vidmar, R. J., "On the use of atmospheric plasmas as electromagnetic reflectors as electromagnetic reflectors and absorbers," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 18, 733-741, 1990.
6. Laroussi, M. and J. R. Roth, "Numerical calculation of the reflection, absorbtion, and transmission of microwaves by a nonuniform plasma slab," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 21, 366-372, 1993.
7. Laroussi, M., "Interaction of microwaves with atmospheric pressure plasmas," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 16, 2069-2083, 1995.
8. Hu, B. J., G. Wei, and S. L. Lai, "SMM analysis of reflection, absorption and transmission from nonuniform magnetized plasma slab," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 27, 1131-1136, 1999.
9. Shi, J., Y. Gao, J. Wang, Z. Yuan, and Y. Ling, "Electromagnetic reflection of conductive plane covered with magnetized inhomogenous plasma," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 22, 1167-1175, 2001.
10. Tang, D. L., A. P. Sun, X. M. Qiu, and K. Chu, "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with a magnetized nonuniform plasma slab," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 31, No. 3, 2003.
11. Guo, B. and X. Wang, "Power absorption of high frequency electromagnetic waves in a partially ionized plasma layer in atmosphere conditions," Plasma Science and Technology, Vol. 7, 2645-2648, 2005.
12. Jin, F., H. Tong, Z. Shi, D. Tang, and P. K. Chu, "Effects of external magnetic field on propagation of electromagnetic wave in uniform magnetized plasma slabs," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 175, 545-552, 2006.
13. Soliman, E. A., A. Helaly, and A. A. Megahed, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in planar bounded plasma region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 25-37, 2007.
14. Zhang, J. and Z. Q. Liu, "Electromagnetic reflection from conductive plate coated with nonuniform plasma," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 28, 71-78, 2007.
15. Zobdeh, P., R. Sadighi-Bonabi, H. Afarideh, E. Yazdani, and R. Rezaei-Nasirabad, "Using the steepened plasma profile and wave breaking threshold in laser-plasma interaction," Contributions to Plasma Physics, Vol. 48, 555-560, 2008.
16. Gurel, C. S. and E. Oncu, "Frequency selective characteristics of a plasma layer with sinusoidally varying electron density profile," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 30, 589-597, 2009.