This paper demonstrates a novel way to enhance the temperature sensitivity in one-dimensional (1D) photonic band gap (PBG) material by using a ternary periodic structure (i.e. three material layers constituting a period of lattice). The temperature sensitive wavelength band shift of (Si/SiO2) periodic structure was significantly enhanced when the structure was modified by sandwiching a thin layer of Bi4Ge3O12 between every two layers, constituting a period of lattice. When the thickness of sandwiched layer was increased further enhancement in temperature sensitivity was observed. These 1D ternary PBG structures can be substituted in place of 1D binary PBG for enhancing the temperature sensing performance.
2. Yablonovitch, E., "Photonic band gap structures," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 10, 283-295, 1993.
3. Srivastava, R., K. B. Thapa, S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Design of photonic band gap filter," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 81, 225-235, 2008.
4. Kai, T., C. W. Wei, Y. G. Hui, and L. Z. Quan, "Study on temperature property of band structures in one-dimensional photonic crystals," Optoelectronics Letters, Vol. 3, 0444-0447, 2007.
5. Awasthi, S. K., U. Malaviya, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional total-reflection wavelength range by using one-dimensional ternary photonic bandgap material," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 23, 2566-2571, 2006.
6. Awasthi, S. K. and S. P. Ojha, "Design of a tunable optical filter by using one-dimensional ternary photonic band gap material," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 4, 117-132, 2008.
7. Banerjee, A., "Enhanced refractometric optical sensing by using one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 89, 11-22, 2009.
8. Born, M. and E.Wolf, "Basic properties of electromagnetic fields," Principles of Optics, 58-69, Cambridge University Press, U.K., 1980.