When an antenna transmits a short pulse of energy such as used for ultra-wide band applications, the pulse gets distorted upon transmission. To examine the properties of pulse transmission it is helpful to analyze the system in the time domain versus the frequency domain. Presented is a spoke top antenna for transient radiation. The spokes reduce the reflection from the open end of the antenna significantly reducing the trailing pulses commonly seen in the time domain. Comparisons are made with a dipole antenna. Both analytical, modeled and experimental results are presented.
2. Federal Communications Commission, "Revision of Part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems," First Report and Order, No. 98-153, Feb. 2002.
3. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristics of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008.
4. Fan, Z. G., L. X. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Source pulse optimization for UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1535-1550, 2006.
5. Yang, L. and G. Giannakis, "Ultra-wideband communications," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 26-54, Nov. 2004.
6. Schantz, H., Ultrawideband Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.
7. Pattan, B., "A brief exposure to ultra-wideband signaling," Microwave Journal, 104-110, Dec. 2003.
8. Allen, B., A. S. Ghorashi, and M. Ghavami, "A review of pulse design for impulse radio," IEE Ultra Wideband Workshop, 93-97, Jun. 2004.
9. Allen, B., M. Dohler, E. E. Okon, W. Q. Malik, A. K. Brown, and D. J. Edwards, Ultra-wideband Antennas and Propagation, John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, England, 2007.
19. Smith, G. S., Classical Electromagnetic Radiation, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 1997.
11. Wu, T. T. and R. W. King, "The cylindrical antenna with non-reflecting resistive loading," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 13, 369-373, May 1965.
12. Maloney, J. G. and G. S. Smith, "A study of transient radiation from the Wu-King resistive monopole-FDTD analysis and experimental measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 41, 668-676, May 1993.
13. Samaddar, S. N. and E. L. Mokole, "Transient behavior of radiated and received fields associated with a resistively loaded dipole," Ultra-wideband Short Pulse Electromagnetics 4, Plenum Publishers, New York, 1999.
14. Sengupta, D. L. and Y. Liu, "Analytical investigation of waveforms radiated by a resistively loaded linear antenna excited by a gaussian pulse," Radio Science, Vol. 9, 621-630, Jun. 1974.