In this paper, the authors present an optimization method based on modified Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) algorithm for thinning large multiple concentric circular ring arrays of uniformly excited isotropic antennas that will generate a pencil beam in the vertical plane with minimum relative side lobe level (SLL). Two different cases have been studied, one with fixed uniform inter-element spacing and another with optimum uniform inter-element spacing. In both the cases, the number of switched off elements is made equal to 220 or more. The half-power beam width of the synthesized pattern is attempted to make equal to that of a fully populated array with uniform spacing of 0.5 λ. Simulation results of the proposed thinned arrays are compared with a fully populated array to illustrate the effectiveness of our proposed method.
2. Dessouky, M. I., H. A. Sharshar, and Y. A. Albagory, "Efficient sidelobe reduction technique for small-sized concentric circular arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 187-200, 2006.
3. Dessouky, M. I., H. A. Sharshar, and Y. A. Albagory, "Optimum normalized-Gaussian tapering window for side lobe reduction in uniform concentric circular arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 35-46, 2007.
4. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, "A novel tapered beamforming window for uniform concentric circular arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2077-2089, 2006.
5. Chen, T. B., Y. L. Dong, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Synthesis of circular antenna array using crossed particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1785-1795, 2006.
6. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 3, 771-779, 2004.
7. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 397-407, February 2004.
8. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multiobjective implementations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 556-567, March 2007.
9. Mahmoud, K. R., M. I. Eladawy, R. Bansal, S. H. Zainud-Deen, and S. M. M. Ibrahem, "Analysis of uniform circular arrays for adaptive beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm ," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, 42-52, January 2008.
10. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008.
11. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Networks, 1942-1948, 1995.
12. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of phase-differentiated reconfigurable array antennas with minimum dynamic range ratio," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 262-264, 2006.
13. Quevedo-Teruel, O. and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Ant colony optimiza-tion in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 349-352, 2006.
14. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, and P. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real-coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
15. Razavi, A. and K. Forooraghi, "Thinned arrays using pattern search algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 61-71, 2008.
16. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994.
17. Haupt, R. L., "Interleaved thinned linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 9, 2858-2864, 2005.
18. Schwartzman, L., "Element behavior in a thinned array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 15, No. 7, 571-572, 1967.