In this paper, a three-dimensional (3-D) low-loss and wideband BPF based on lowtemperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) has been presented for 60 GHz wireless communication applications. Via pads in the vertical via transitions are designed as an additional resonator for lowloss and wide-bandwidth of the BPF. The proposed BPF has been designed by investigating its characteristics as a function of dimensions of the resonators such as a single-mode patch and via pads and also a length of feed lines are optimized for effective coupling. The designed BPF was fabricated in a 6-layer LTCC dielectric. The fabricated BPF shows a centre frequency (fc) of 61.46 GHz and a 3dB bandwidth of 10.5% from 58.2 to 64.7 GHz (6.47 GHz). An insertion loss of -2.88 dB at fc and return losses below -10 dB are achieved. Its whole size is 4.72 × 1.7 × 0.684 mm3.
2. Lee, Y. C., W.-I. Chang, and C. S. Park, "Monolithic LTCC sip transmitter for 60 GHz wireless communication terminals," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symposium Digest, June 2005.
3. Jung, D. Y., W.-I. Chang, K. C. Eun, and C. S. Park, "60-GHz system-on-package transmitter integrating sub-harmonic frequency amplitude shift-keying modulator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1786-1793, 2007.
4. Seki, T., K. Nishikawa, Y. Suzuki, I. Toyoda, and K. Tsunekawa, "60 GHz monolithic LTCC module for wireless communication systems," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 1671-1674, 2006.
5. Lee, Y. C. and C. S. Park, "A fully embedded 60-GHz novel BPF for LTCC system-in-package applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 29, No. 4, 804-809, 2006.
6. Lee, J.-H., S. Pinel, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Design and development of advanced cavity-based dual-mode filters using low-temperature co-fired ceramic technology for V-band gigabit wireless systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 9, 1869-1879, 2007.
7. Jung, D. Y., W. I. Chang, J. H. Kim, and C. S. Park, "A low loss multi-layer dielectric waveguide filter for 60-GHz system-on-package applications," IEICE Trans. Fundamentals, Vol. E89-A, No. 6, 1690-1691, 2006.
8. Shen, T.-M., C.-F. Chen, T.-Y. Huang, and R.-B. Wu, "Design of vertically stacked waveguide filters in LTCC," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1771-1779, 2007.
9. Yang, K. S., S. Pinel, I. K. Kim, and J. Laskar, "Low-loss integrated passive circuits using liquid-crystal polymer system-on-package (SoP) technology for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 12, 4572-4579, 2006.
10. Yeh, L.-K., C.-Y. Hsu, C.-Y. Chen, and H.-R. Chuang, "A 24/60-GHz CMOS on-chip dual-band bandpass filter using trisection dual-behavior resonators," IEEE Electron. Device Letters, Vol. 29, No. 12, 1373-1375, 2008.
11. Lee, Y. C., "CPW-to-stripline vertical via transitions for 60 GHz LTCC SoP applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 37-44, 2008.
12. CST MICROWAVE STUDIO, CST Inc., , [Online] Available: http://www.cst.com.
13. RN2 Technologies, , [Online] Available: http://www.RN2LTCC.com.
14. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," IEEE Proc., Vol. 80, 79-91, 1992.