The spectral switch phenomenon of light induced by scattering from a collection of particles is, to the best of our knowledge, reported for the first time. It is shown that when a spatially coherent light wave with a spectrum of Gaussian distribution is scattered from a collection of particles, the rapidly transition of the spectrum of the scattered field from red shift to blue shift (i.e., spectral switch) can be observed. It is also found that the spectrum of the scattered field will experience several spectral switches with the increase of the scattering angle.
2. Wolf, E., J. T. Foley, and F. Gori, "Frequency shifts of spectral lines produced by scattering from spatially random media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 6, 1142-1149, 1989.
3. Visser, T., D. Fischer, and E.Wolf, "Scattering of light from quasi-homogeneous sources by quasi-homogeneous media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 23, 1631-1638, 2006.
4. Shirai, T. and T. Asakura, "Spectral changes of light induced by scattering from spatially random media under the Rytov approximation," J. Opt. Soc. Am A, Vol. 12, 1354-1363, 1995.
5. Dogariu, A. and E. Wolf, "Spectral changes produced by static scattering on a system of particles," Opt. Lett., Vol. 23, 1340-1343, 1998.
6. Zhao, D., O. Korotkova, and E. Wolf, "Application of correlation-induced spectral changes to inverse scattering," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 3483-3485, 2007.
7. Lahiri, M., E. Wolf, D. G. Fisher, and T. Shirai, "Determination of correlation functions of scattering potentials of stochastic media from scattering experiments," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, 123901, 2009.
8. Gbur, G. and E. Wolf, "Determination of density correlation functions from scattering of polychromatic light," Opt. Commun., Vol. 168, 39-45, 1999.
9. Wang, T. and D. Zhao, "Determination of pair-structure factor of scattering potential of a collection of particles," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 318-320, 2010.
10. Korotkova, O. and E. Wolf, "Scattering matrix theory for stochastic scalar fields," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 75, 056609, 2007.
11. Sahin, S. and O. Korotkova, "Scattering of scalar light fields from collections of particles," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 78, 063815, 2008.
12. Sahin, S. and O. Korotkova, "Effect of the pair-structure factor of a particulate medium on scalar wave scattering in the first Born approximation," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, 1762-1764, 2009.
13. Pu, J., H. Zhang, and S. Nemoto, "Spectral shifts and spectral switches of partially coherent light passing through an aperture," Opt. Commun., Vol. 162, 57-63, 1999.
14. Pu, J. and S. Nemoto, "Spectral changes and 1 × N spectral switches in the diffraction of partially coherent light by an aperture," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 19, 339-344, 2002.
15. Pu, J., C. Cao, and S. Nemoto, "Spectral switches of partially coherent light focused by a filter-lens system with chromatic aberration," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 21, 994-999, 2004.
16. Pu, J., C. Cao, and S. Nemoto, "Spectral shifts and spectral switches in diffraction of partially coherent light by a circular aperture ," IEEE J. Quant. Electron., Vol. 36, 1407-1411, 2000.
17. Wolf, E., Introduction to the Theory of Coherence and Polarization of Light, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2007.