A low profile dual-band mobile phone antenna with a very small volume of 0.768 cm3 (40 × 4 × 4.8 mm3) is presented. The antenna is formed by a monopole and an open-end slot embedded therein. The impedance bandwidths for the lower and upper bands with a definition of 3:1 VSWR (6 dB return loss) reach 215 MHz (815-1030 MHz) and 515 MHz (1660-2175 MHz) respectively. Furthermore, small excited surface current distributions on the ground plane of the antenna are achieved, and the ground plane length has smaller effect on the achievable bandwidths of the antenna compared with the conventional internal patch antennas for mobile phones, which make the antenna very attractive to be applied to the mobile phones with various possible ground plane lengths. Good radiation characteristics over the operating bands are obtained.
2. Lin, S. Y., "Multiband folded planar monopole antenna for mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 1790-1794, 2004.
3. Shin, Y. S., S. O. Park, and M. Lee, "A broadband interior antenna of planar monopole type in handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag., Vol. 4, 9-12, 2005.
4. Geyi, W., Q. Rao, S. Ali, and D. Wang, "Handset antenna design: Practice and theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 123-160, 2008.
5. Wang, Y. J., "Design of dual-frequency microstrip patch antennas and application for IMT-2000 mobile handsets ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 265-278, 2002.
6. Wang, F. J. and J. S. Zhang, "Wide band cavity-backed patch antenna for PCS/IMI2000/2.4 GHz WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 39-46, 2007.
7. Wong, K. L., Y. W. Chi, and S. Y. Tu, "Internal multiband printed folded slot antenna for mobile phone application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 1833-1837, 2007.
8. Lin, C. I. and K. L. Wong, "Printed monopole slot antenna for internal multiband mobile phone antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 3690-3697, 2007.
9. Guo, Y. X., M. Y. W. Chia, and Z. N. Chen, "Miniature built-in multiband antennas for mobile handsets," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 1936-1944, 2004.
10. Azad, M. Z. and M. Ali, "A miniaturized hilbert PIFA for dual-band mobile wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, 59-62, 2005.
11. Chang, C. H., K. L. Wong, and J. S. Row, "Multiband surface-mount chip antenna integrated with the speaker in the mobile mount chip antenna integrated with the speaker in the mobile phone," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 1126-1132, 2008.
12. Wu, T. Y. and K. L. Wong, "On the impedance bandwidth of a planar inverted-F antenna for mobile handsets," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 42, 249-251, 2002.
13. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, 1433-1444, 2002.