This paper presents a novel bulk acoustic wave stacked crystal filter (SCF) configuration that improves the inherent narrow bandwidth of this kind of devices and increases their selectivity by means of the allocating of transmission zeros. A set of parallel connected SCFs with their resonant frequencies split along the passband achieves the bandwidth improvement. The SCF detuning is carried out by the thickness of its middle metallic electrode. The filter response covers the 60 MHz bandwidth of a W-CDMA RF application working at 2.14 GHz. The use of SCFs considerably simplifies the layer stack configuration in contrast to other acoustically coupled structures as coupled resonator filters.
2. Loebl, H. P., C. Metzmacher, R. F. Milsom, P. Lok, F. van Straten, and A. Tuinhout, "RF bulk acoustic wave resonators and filters," Journal of Electroceramics, Vol. 12, No. 1-2, 109-118, Jan. 2004.
3. Weigel, R., D. P. Morgan, J. M. Owens, A. Ballato, K. M. Lakin, K. Hashimoto, and C. C. W. Ruppel, "Microwave acoustic materials, devices, and applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 3, 738-749, Mar. 2002.
4. Hashimoto, K., "Bulk Acoustic Wave Filters for Communications," Artech House, Norwood, MA., 2009.
5. Lakin, K. M., Equivalent circuit modeling of stacked crystal filters, Thirty Fifth Annual Frequency Control Symposium, 257-262, 1981.
6. Lakin, K. M., Coupled resonator filters, IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, Vol. 1, 901-908, Oct. 2002.
7. Corrales, E., P. de Paco, O. Menendez, and , "Closed-form expressions for the design of BAW CRF acoustic inverters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2251-2259, 2009.
8. Corrales, E., P. de Paco, O. Menendez, and J. Verdu, Design of three-pole bulk acoustic wave coupled resonator filters, 38th European Microwave Conference, 357-360, Oct. 2008.
9. Volatier, A., E. Defay, A. Nhari, J. F. Carpentier, P. Ancey, and B. Dubus, "Design, elaboration and characterization of coupled resonator filters for WCDMA applications ," IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, 829-832, Oct. 2006.
10. Fattinger, G. G., M. R. Fattinger, K. Diefenbeck, P. Muller, and R. Aigner, Spurious mode suppression in coupled resonator filters , IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 9, No. 5, 4, Jun. 2005.
11. Cameron, R. J., "Advanced coupling matrix synthesis techniques for microwave filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 1, 1-10, Jan. 2003.
12. Menendez, O., P. de Paco, E. Corrales, and J. Verdu, "Procedure for the design of ladder baw filters taking electrodes into account," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 127-137, 2009.