A novel compact square slot antenna design with coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed for dual-band operation is presented. The proposed antenna is simply composed of a square slot resonator and a monopole radiator. By employing the special square slot structure, the antenna can achieve a new resonance while maintaining a small size. Based on this concept, a prototype of dual-band antenna is designed, fabricated and tested. The experimental results show the antenna has the impedance bandwidths of 400 MHz (2.33-2.73 GHz) and 1020 MHz (3.27-4.29 GHz), covering both WiMAX in the 2.5/3.5 GHz bands and WLAN in the 2.4 GHz band.
1. Zhao, K., S. Zhang, and S.-L. He, "Closely-located MIMO antennas of tri-band for WLAN mobile terminal applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 363-371, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735633
2. Liu, W.-C., P.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Liu, "Triple-band planar monopole antenna for DMB/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 653-661, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036269
3. Jaw, J.-L., F.-S. Chen, and D.-F. Chen, "Compact dualband CPW-fed slotted patch antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1947-1955, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932584
4. Zhang, T.-L., Z.-H. Yan, L. Chen, and Y. Song, "A compact dual-band CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 2097-2104, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537937
5. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H. S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149879
6. Chang, T.-N. , G.-Y. Shen, and J.-M. Lin, "CPW-fed antenna covering WiMAX 2.5/3.5/5.7 GHz bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 189-197, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735589
7. Chen , W.-S. and Y.-H. Yu, "Dual-band printed dipole antenna with parasitic element for WiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 23, 1338-1339, November 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081602
8. Liu, Z.-Y., Y.-Z. Yin, L.-H. Wen, W.-C. Xiao, Y. Wang, and S.-L. Zuo, "A Y-shaped tri-band monopole antenna with a parasitic M-strip for PCS and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1219-1227, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586089
9. Liu, W. C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041401
10. Liu, W. C. , W. R. Chen, and C. M. Wu, "Printed double Sshaped monopole antenna for wideband and multiband operation of wireless communication," IEE Proceedings ---Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, 473-476, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20041035
11. Kuo, Y. L. and K. L Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2187-2191, 2003.
12. Liu , W.-C. and C.-F. Hsu, "Dual-band CPW-fed Y-shaped monopole antenna for PCS/WLAN application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 7, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057887
13. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Microstrip-fed dual-frequency annular-slot antenna loaded by split-ring-slot," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, 757-764, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0193
15. Augustin, G. , S. V. Shynu, P. Mohanan, C. K. Aanandan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact dual-band antenna for wireless access point," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 9, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20060721
16. Hsieh, C., T. Chiu, and C. Lai, "Compact dual-band slot antenna at the corner of the ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3423-3426, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027348
17. Liu, W.-C. , C.-M. Wu, and N.-C. Chu, "A compact CPW-fed slotted patch antenna for dual-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 110-113, 2010.