We experimentally characterize the pulse propagation in two-dimensional composite right- and left-handed transmission lines periodically loaded with Schottky varactors. A properly designed line structure should produce that nonlinearity rendered by the varactors creating a self-focused pulse on the line and finally collapses, which allows it to be engineered for pulse processing systems. We built a test breadboard line and observed self-focused pulses.
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2006.
2. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Gaussian pulse expansion of modulated signals in a double-negative slab," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.874879
3. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Signal reshaping in a transmission line with negative group velocity behaviour," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2627-2633, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24688
4. Chi, P. and T. Itoh, "Dispersion engineering with CRLH metamaterials," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Radio-frequency Integration Technology, 128-131, 2009.
5. Gomez-Diaz, J. S., S. Gupta, A. Alvarez-Melcon, and C. Caloz, "Investigation on the phenomenology of impulse-regime metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, 4010-4014, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2025400
6. Gharakhili, F. G., M. Shahabadi, and M. Hakkak, "Bright and dark soliton generation in a left-handed nonlinear transmission line with series nonlinear capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 237-249, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09080106
7. Ogasawara, J. and K. Narahara, "Short envelope pulse propagation in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 6, 1576-1581, 2009. doi:10.1587/elex.6.1576
8. Iyer, K. and G. Eleftheriades, "Free-space imaging beyond the diffraction limit using a Veselago-Pendry transmission-line metamaterial superlens," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, 1720-1727, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019890
9. Gaponov-Grekhov, A. V. and M. I. Rabinovich, "L. I. Mandel'shtam and the modern theory of nonlinear oscillations and waves," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 22, 590-614, 1979. doi:10.1070/PU1979v022n08ABEH005590
10. Nakamichi, T., S. Nakagawa, and K. Narahara, "Management of spatially-localized pulses in two-dimensional composite right- and left-handed transmission lines periodically loaded with Schottky varactors," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 47, 6583-6587, 2008. doi:10.1143/JJAP.47.6583
11. Taniuti, T., "Reductive perturbation method and far fields of wave equations," Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl., Vol. 55, 1-55, 1974. doi:10.1143/PTPS.55.1