In this paper, a novel double-band integrated antenna for applications in WLAN is presented and studied. Based on the mature dipole theory, radiation elements are printed on the two faces of a low cost FR4 substrate. The two dipoles are designed on the sides of the feedline, which can reduce the impact of each other availably. The distance between the two arms and the width of the arms plays an important role in improving the impedance matching. Furthermore, by folding the arms efficiently, the current distribution of the proposed antenna is extended, and the dimensions of the proposed antenna can be reduced. The size of the designed antenna is just 34mm×24mm×1mm (about 0.27λ×0.19λ×0.008λ, λ is the wavelength relative to the frequency 2.4 GHz). Moreover, the prototype of the antenna is constructed and tested, which shows a good agreement with simulated result. The measured bandwidths, ranging from 2.35 GHz to 2.61 GHz and from 4.7 GHz to 6.0 GHz respectively, are obtained with return loss less than -9.54 dB (about 2:1 VSWR). The proposed antenna covers 2.4/5 GHz WLAN bands, and radiation patterns with good omni- directional radiation in the operating frequency are observed.
3. Zhou, S., J. Guo, Y. Hang, and Q. Liu, "Broadband dual frequency sleeve monopole antenna for DTV/GSM application," Electron.Lett., Vol. 45, No. 15, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1040
4. Spence, T. G. and D. H. Werner, "A novel miniature broadband/multiband antenna based on an end-loaded planar open-sleeve dipole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 3614-3620, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.886493
5. Chen, H. D. and H. T. Chen, "A CPW-fed dual-frequency monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 978-982, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825620
7. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775537366
8. Lee, W. S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J. W. Yu, "Multiple frequency notched planar monopole antenna for multi-band wireless system," Proc. 35th Eur. Microw. Conf.,, 1935-1937, Paris, France, 2005.
9. Prommak, C., J. Kabara, D. Tipper, and C. Charnsripinyo, "Next generation wireless LAN system design," Proc. MILCOM, Vol. 1, 473-477, 2002. doi:10.1109/MILCOM.2002.1180488
10. Zhang, J., X.-M. Zhang, J.-S. Liu, Q.-F. Wu, T. Ying, and H. Jin, "Dual-band bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN 2.4/5.8 GHz applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.0173
14. Wu, Y.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Triple-band omni-directional antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 477-484, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080601
15. Ren, W., "Compact dual-band slot antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 319-327, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08071406
16. Liu, W.-C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041401
17. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Tseng, "Small planar monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic inverted-L wire for wireless communications in the 2.4-, 5.2-, and 5.8-GHz bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 1903-1905, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.831370
18. Jolani, F., A. M. Dadgarpour, and H. R. Hassani, "Compact M-slot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08012801