A novel RCS (radar cross section) reduction configuration for a reflectarray antenna, employing the appropriate FSS (frequency-selective surface) as a ground, is proposed. The performance of a reflectarray element backed either by a solid metal ground plane or a frequency-selective surface is compared. To optimize the performance of the designed frequency-selective surface, a parametric study is carried out using Ansoft HFSS. Then, a prime-focus FSS-backed reflectarray is fabricated and tested. The measurements demonstrate that the gain of a FSS-backed reflectarray is about 0.5 dB lower than its counterpart backed by a solid ground plane. The RCS is nearly the same at the operating band of 10 GHz, while out of this band the FSS-backed reflectarray reduces the RCS strongly, especially at 1 GHz with the reduction up to 20 dB. Compared with the RCS reductions obtained in the other papers, the FSS-backed reflectarray using a ring element can also obtain a good result.
2. Tahir , F. A., H. Aubert, and E. Girard, "Equivalent electrical circuit for designing MEMS-controlled reflectarray phase shifters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 1-12, 2010.
3. Li, H. , B.-Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Novel broadband reflectarray antenna with compound-cross-loop elements for millimeter-wave application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1333-1340, 2007.
4. Encinar, J. A. and J. A. Zornoza, "Broadband design of three-layer printed reflectarrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 7, 1662-1664, 2003.
5. Hasani , H., M. Kamyab, and A. Mirkamali, "Broadband re°ectarray antenna incorporating disk elements with attached phase-delay lines," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 156-158, 2010.
6. Li, , Q. Y., Y. C. Jiao, and G. Zhao, "A novel microstrip rectangular patch/ring-combination re°ectarray element and its application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1119-1122, 2009.
7. Euler , M. and V. F. Fusco, "RCS control using cascaded circularly polarized frequency selective surfaces and an AMC structure as a switchable twist polarizer," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, 577-580, 2010.
8. White , M. O., "Radar cross-section: Measurement, prediction and control," Electron. Commun. Eng. J., Vol. 10, 169-180, 1998.
9. Ren, , L.-S. , Y.-C. Jiao, F. Li, J.-J. Zhao, and G. Zhao, "A novel dual-petal loop element for broadband reflectarray," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 157-163, 2011.
10. Misran, N. , R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "RCS reduction technique for reflectarray antennas," Electronics Lett., Vol. 39, 1630-1631, 2003.
11. Li, , H., , B.-Z. Wang, G. Zheng, W. Shao, and L. Guo, "A reFLectarray antenna backed on FSS for low RCS and high radiation performances," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 145-155, 2010.
12. Li, L., Q. Chen, Q.-W. Yuan, K. Sawaya, T. Maruyama, T. Furuno, and S. Uebayashi, "Frequency selective reFLectarray using crossed-dipole elements with square loops for wireless communication applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 89-99, 2011.