A printed ultra-wideband (UWB) monopole antenna with both tunable and switchable band-notched characteristics is proposed. An embedded resonant slot loaded with a varactor and a pin diode controlled by DC signal through one common bias network is employed to tune and switch the notch band. In the ``all-pass'' state when the two diodes are partially turned on, the power consumption of this active antenna is only 2.4 μW. Measured return loss, radiation pattern, gain and group delay of the introduced antenna are presented in this paper.
1. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra wideband applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1248, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20045966
2. Gao, G.-P., X.-X. Yang, and J.-S. Zhang, "A printed volcano smoke antenna for UWB and WLAN communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 55-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08051102
3. Lin, S., R.-N. Cai, G.-L. Huang, and J.-X. Wang, "A miniature UWB semi-circle monopole printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 157-163, 2011.
4. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S.-O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.874354
5. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040507
6. Li, W.-M., T. Ni, S.-M. Zhang, J. Huang, and Y.-C. Jiao, "UWB printed slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 143-151, 2011.
7. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091201
8. Rahmati, B. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband planar plate monopole antenna with dual tunable notch," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 7, 480-481, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.3351
9. Hu, Z. H., P. S. Hall, J. R. Kelly, and P. Gardner, "UWB pyramidal monopole antenna with wide tunable band-notched behaviour," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 24, 1588-1590, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.2839
10. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabres, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Vila-Jimenez, "Active UWB antenna with tunable band-notched behaviour," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 18, 959-960, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20071567
11. Jeong, W.-S., S.-Y. Lee, W.-G. Lim, H. Lim, and J.-W. Yu, "Tunable band-notched ultra wideband (UWB) planar monopole antennas using varactor," 38th European Microwave Conference, 266-268, 2008. doi:10.1109/EUMC.2008.4751439
12. Shameena, V. A., M. N. Suma, K. Raj Rohith, P. C. Bybi, and P. Mohanan, "Compact ultra-wideband planar serrated antenna with notch band ON/OFF control," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 23, 1323-1324, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20062863
13. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060208
14. Nikolaou, S., N. D. Kingsley, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "UWB elliptical monopoles with a reconfigurable band notch using MEMS switches actuated without bias lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2242-2251, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2024450
15. Sepulveda, N., D. E. Anagnostou, M. T. Chryssomallis, and J. L. Ebel, "Integration of RF-MEMS switches with a band-reject reconfigurable ultra-wideband antenna on SiO2 substrate," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, APSURSI, 1-4, 2010.
16. Perruisseau-Carrier, J., P. Pardo-Carrera, and P. Miskovsky, "Modeling, design and characterization of a very wideband slot antenna with reconfigurable band rejection," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2218-2226, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2048872