The performance comparison of two configurations of broadband Mach-Zehnder Switches exploiting, respectively, two and three waveguides, assembled into 4x4 matrices is reported in this paper. The simulations are performed by the Finite Element Method and the Finite Difference Beam Propagation Method. In particular, we have found that, to parity of maximum insertion loss, about equal to 1 dB for the single switch and 3 dB for the 4x4 matrix, the proposed three-waveguide configuration exhibits an almost doubled bandwidth Δλ=115 nm, making it suitable for efficient routing of the Wavelength Division Multiplexing signals over photonic Networks on Chip.
2. Kumar, A., B. Suthar, V. Kumar, K. S. Singh, and A. Bhargava, "Tunable wavelength demultiplexer for DWDM application using 1-D photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 27-35, 2012.
3. Wu, C.-J., M.-H. Lee, W.-H. Chen, and T.-J. Yang, "A mid-infrared multichanneled filter in a photonic ceystal heterostructure containing negative-permittivity materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1360-1371, 2011.
4. Calµo, G., A. Farinola, and V. Petruzzelli, "Equalization in photonic bandgap multiwavelength filters by the Newton binomial distribution," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 28, 1668-1679, 2011.
5. Green, W. M. J., M. J. Rooks, L. Sekaric, and Y. A. Vlasov, "Ultra-compact, low RF power, 10 Gb/s silicon Mach-Zehnder modulator," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 17106-17113, 2007.
6. Xu, Q., S. Manipatruni, B. Schmidt, J. Shakya, and M. Lipson, "12.5 Gbit/s carrier-injection-based silicon microring silicon modulators," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 430-436, 2007.
7. Liao, L., D. Samara-Rubio, M. Morse, A. Liu, and D. Hodge, "High speed silicon Mach-Zehnder modulator," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 3130-3135, 2005.
8. Liu, A., L. Liao, D. Rubin, H. Nguyen, B. Ciftcioglu, Y. Chetrit, N. Izhaky, and M. Paniccia, "High-speed optical modulation based on carrier depletion in a silicon waveguide," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 660-668, 2007.
9. Thomson, , D. J., F. Y. Gardes, Y. Hu, G. Mashanovich, M. Fournier, P. Grosse, J.-M. Fedeli, and G. T. Reed, "High contrast 40 Gbit/s optical modulation in silicon," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 11507-11516, 2011.
10. Calo, G., V. Petruzzelli, L. Mescia, and F. Prudenzano, "Study of gain in photonic band gap active InP waveguides," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 26, 2414-2422, 2009.
11. Calµo, G., A. D'Orazio, M. Grande, V. Marrocco, and V. Petruzzelli, "Active InGaAsP/InP photonic bandgap waveguides for wavelength-selective switching," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 47, No. 2, 172-181, 2011.
12. Calµo, G., D. Alexandropoulos, and V. Petruzzelli, "Active photonic band-gap switch based on GaInNAs multiquantum well," IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol. 4, No. 5, 1936-1946, 2012.
13. Calo, G., D. Alexandropoulos, and V. Petruzzelli, "Active WDM filter on dilute nitride quantum well photonic band gap waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 35, 37-49, 2012.
14. Calo, G., D. Alexandropoulos, A. D'Orazio, and V. Petruzzelli, "Wavelength selective switching in dilute nitrides multi quantum well photonic band gap waveguides," Physica Status Solidi B, Vol. 248, 1212-1215, 2011.
15. Ghafoori-Fard, H., M. J. Moghimi, and A. Rostami, "Linear and nonlinear superimposed Bragg grating: A novel proposal for all-optical multi-wavelength filtering and switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 243-266, 2007.
16. D'Alessandro, A. , F. Campoli, P. Maltese, G. Chessa, A. D'Orazio, and V. Petruzzelli, "Design of an ultrashort directional coupler with an SSFLC coupling layer," Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, Vol. 320, 355-364, 1998.
17. Moghimi, M. J., H. Ghafoori-Fard, and A. Rostami, "Analysis and design of all-optical switching in apodized and chirped Bragg gratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 87-102, 2008.
18. Moghimi, M. J., H. G. Fard, and A. Rostami, "Multi-wavelengths optical switching and tunable filters using dynamic superimposed photorefractive Bragg grating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 129-142, 2008.
19. Calµo, G., A. D'Orazio, M. De Sario, L. Mescia, V. Petruzzelli, and F. Prudenzano, "Tunability of photonic band gap notch filters," IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, Vol. 7, 273-284, 2008.
20. D'Orazio, A., M. De Sario, V. Ingravallo, V. Petruzzelli, and F. Prudenzano, "Infiltrated liquid crystal photonic bandgap devices for switching and tunable filtering," Fiber and Integrated Optics, Vol. 22, No. 3, 161-172, 2003.
21. Calµo, G., A. D'Orazio, and V. Petruzzelli, "Broadband Mach-Zehnder switch for photonic networks on chip," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 30, No. 7, 944-952, 2012.
22. Parini, A., L. Ramini, G. Bellanca, and D. Bertozzi, "Abstract modeling of switching elements for optical networks-on-chip with technology platform awareness," INA-OCMC: 5th International Workshop on Interconnection Network Architecture: On-Chip, Multi-Chip, 2011.
23. Passaro, V. M. N. and F. Dell'Olio, "Scaling and optimization of MOS optical modulators in nanometer SOI waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, Vol. 7, 401-408, 2008.
24. Calµo, G. and V. Petruzzelli, "Photonic interconnects for chip multiprocessing architectures," 2012 14th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks (ICTON), 1-4, July 2-5, 2012.
25. Huang, W., C. Xu, S. Chu, and S. K. Chaudhuri, "The finite-difference vector beam propagation method: Analysis and assessment," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 10, 295-305, 1992.
26. Soref, R. and B. R. Bennett, "Electrooptical effects in silicon IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics,", Vol. 23, 123-129, 1987.
27. Yang, M., W. M. J. Green, S. Assefa, J. Van Campenhout, B. G. Lee, C. V. Jahnes, F. E. Doany, C. L. Schow, J. A. Kash, and Y. A. Vlasov, "Non-blocking 4 x 4 electro-optic silicon switch for on-chip photonic networks," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 47-54, 2011.
28. Thompson, R. A. and D. K. Hunter, "Elementary photonic switching modules in three divisions," IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 14, No. 2, 362-372, 1996.